Friday, February 29, 2008

what a fun week!

This past week has had its bad moments, the worst part being that I've been coughing like mad all week, so I've been miserable. That means Matthew has gotten to watch a lot more tv than normal, while I doze in the chair & Scarlett naps. Thank goodness she's still napping between 5 & 6 hours a day! But the week really had a lot of great moments.

First, last Friday we were eating supper and Matthew commented that his ears hurt. With his history of ear infections, I was immediately concerned. I asked him if he wanted me to kiss them, since that has been a big thing lately - he wants me to kiss his boo-boos and they get all better. It's so nice that I'm able to make him better, huh? Anyway, he told me "no, doctor kiss it." I guess the kiddo realizes there are some things mommy can't fix. Fortunately when we got up Saturday & I pulled on his ears, it didn't seem to bother him at all, so I didn't call the pediatrician.

We always look in on Matthew when we go to bed, and Saturday night David peeked in on him and saw that his bed was pulled out about 6 inches from the wall. His bed is in a corner in his room, and we only have a rail on one side of it (since the other side is against the wall), so David went in to push it back. He said Matthew sat up in bed, looked at the gap between the bed & wall, and said "uh-oh, what happened?" We've never heard him ask that before, and David said it was clear as a bell. David replied "I guess you moved your bed. Goodnight." and Matthew laid right back down. David was surprised by the clarity of his speech when he woke up like that though.

Also on Saturday, Scarlett's first fang broke through. She is cutting her teeth in a different order than Matthew did, but a couple of her cousins did the same. Instead of getting her front center teeth "first" on top, she is getting the next ones over. With my niece she looked like a vampire until the front ones came in. It was cute though, so hopefully Scarlett will be a cute little vampire too. The one on the other side broke through Tuesday, so she's got 4 little teeth now.

Sunday we did not go to church because of me being sick. :( I am sure we will find a home this spring. Sunday Matthew & Scarlett enjoyed the day. The new game at the house is to "ride horsey" - where Matthew climbs up on my back (or David's back) and we ride him around the room/house. Well Sunday he decided Scarlett should be the horsey, so he tried climbing on her back while she was crawling. She hated it, but it was so funny that I had to take some pictures! Later he said "shishter ride horsey" and he got down on all fours, so I sat her on his back & he crawled around letting her ride. (Don't worry, I held her hands while she rode!)

Monday was a particularly good day. He wanted to sit at the table while Scarlett finished her breakfast (he was finished) so I gave him some paper & crayons. When he got tired of coloring, he wadded the paper into a ball, then told me it was a snowball. Then, the little booger threw the 'snowball' at me! We had a little snowball fight right there at the table! Another new phrase came up at lunch. David asked Matthew how his lunch was and Matthew replied "it's great." After his nap I let him help me make jello for dessert. We used the quick method where you add some ice, and he helped me by pouring the ice & water in. At supper I mentioned that he helped me with dessert so David asked him what we were having. He told David 'jelly' then said that he ate ice (he did eat one piece while we were making the jello) and also told David he poured and mixed. David couldn't figure out what kind of dessert we were having...I think the jelly part threw him for a loop.

My favorite thing Monday night was the wrestling after supper. Matthew loves to wrestle with Scarlett, and she tolerates it quite well, usually laughing the entire time. Sometimes he puts too much weight on her, or oh, grabs her around the neck, and she fusses, but usually she seems to enjoy. So Monday night she pulled up on his Elmo chair and he started wrestling with her & Elmo...putting it over her and kind of jumping on it. At some point, she got up and got it on top of him - she laid on it and was kind of bouncing and he was not happy! He was under the chair, and she was really getting the best of him. It was really funny!

Tuesday morning it was snowing when Matthew got up. I pointed it out through the kitchen window and he told me he wanted to go sledding. Now he's only been sledding once, so I was surprised he mentioned it. It also made me feel bad because I'm coughing so that I don't want to be out in the cold. :(

Another thing I've noticed Matthew doing this week is laughing at the television. I haven't been paying close enough attention to what he's watching to know what he's laughing about (don't worry, it's all PBS kids programming!) but I love seeing his sense of humor coming out. He has been enjoying "teasing" us about different things for a while, but seeing it with the tv was pretty neat.

Scarlett has been trying to climb in the megabloks wagon too. I've seen her at least twice this week with it emptied out and trying to climb in. It usually ends up on its side and she will have part of her body in it, but then she tries to get the handle, like she wants to pull it. Cute!

Last night I got on the webcam with my parents since they haven't seen Matthew & Scarlett since Christmas. At some point we mentioned that we would be there in a month & I asked Matthew if he wanted to see Belle (my niece that is 6 weeks older than him). He said yes, then went to the closet and said "want clothes, go bye-bye" - I asked where he was going & he said "see Belle, want clothes." He didn't understand that we weren't going right away. Oops! I know now not to mention it, since he ended up rather upset that I didn't dress him & leave!

The final thing is definitely the most disgusting. On occasion, when he has a runny nose and I don't have a tissue handy, I will wipe it on my shirt sleeve. I know, gross, but what mom out there hasn't resorted to this at some point? Anyway, one day this week he came up to me and said "want sleeve", pointing at my sleeve. I asked why and he just grabbed it & wiped his nose! I know there's no way to explain to a 2 year old that he can't just wipe his snot on me, so I guess I need to make sure to always have tissue, huh?

I know this got long, I probably lost you all long ago, but it will be fun for me to look back on what a good week we had, even though I felt like crap!

1 comment:

nancy said...

ugh - I hope your cough gets better!