Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the visit

We had a good weekend. My MIL arrived about an hour earlier than I expected Friday. Turns out she flew out of a different city than normal so we were watching the wrong flight. I'm glad she understood...sometimes she gets pissy about stuff like having to wait to be picked up. My BIL & his girlfriend came over too. That was nice for me - I feel a lot less stressed when she's here and there are other family members here too. BIL "tattled" on her for letting Matthew drink coffee too. Her defense was that he asked for it...since she didn't offer apparently that makes it ok for him to have it. I guess next time he asks to go outside even though it's -20 windchills I should let him do it, just because he asked? No reason for me as an adult to use judgement, right? It's not that I even care if he had a sip of coffee...it's that I get annoyed with her for trying to justify it. Yesterday was the real goody though. Around 11:20 she went into the kitchen, got a snack, and brought it into the family room. We don't eat in our family room. (Well, David & I do, but only if we're eating after the kids are in bed...they don't see us eating in the family room.) Matthew usually eats lunch between 11:30 & 12. She offered him part of her snack. After 3 times of her calling him trying to give it to him (he was busy playing), I told her that he didn't need it and it was almost lunchtime anyway. She called him 3 MORE times! Of course he finally noticed that she had food & he went over for it. Again, it's not that I care if he has occasional snacks, but the blatant disregard for me telling her he didn't need it really annoys me. David was not around at that moment, but a few minutes later while I was fixing lunch she made some passive aggressive remark to him that I was mad with her. (eyeroll here) When Matthew was finishing up with his lunch, I was in the kitchen and she brought his plate to me & said "he said he's all done, did he eat enough? and is it ok for him to have more milk?" I replied that it just didn't matter to me today. David gave me a look like what is going on? Later when I told him about it all I tried to explain that it wasn't about her giving him a snack, it was that she blatently disregarded what I said. Then, she went out of her way to ASK me what was ok when David was around....as if she cares what I think/say is ok to begin with. Whatever!

I assured David that I would have been just as annoyed if my parents acted this way, but deep down I'm not so sure about this. But I can't be sure because with MY parents, if they "called" to Matthew offering him the snack after I told them he didn't need it, I would simply say to them "hey, I told you he doesn't need that" and it would be the end of it. But because she is ultra-sensitive and I try to be a loving wife who gets along, I just let stuff like that slide with her, and end up being angry on the inside that she is passive aggressive. In reality, I'm ~almost~ as P/A as she is...but not quite. I know that "they" say girls marry men like their fathers, and men marry women like their mothers. I can say that David & my daddy are alike in so many ways, maybe that is somewhat true. But I really really really really hope it's not true in David's case. Yeah, really really really really...I hope I'm not like her.

But of course, I love her because she gave me David. If she did everything else wrong, she somehow managed to raise one heck of a wonderful son. Yes, she gave me David.

David & I had rented a couple of movies last weekend that we never got around to watching. They were due back Sunday so we watched one Saturday (Curious George) with the whole family. Matthew liked it a lot...I fell asleep on the couch. Sunday morning David I went back to bed & watched the other - Knocked Up. It wasn't as laugh out loud funny as I'd hoped. I did laugh out loud, several times in fact, but I think I had heard so many people say it was so funny that I overbuilt it in my mind.

Sunday afternoon David & I went out. We wanted to go ice skating but it was way too cold. We decided to go to a movie instead. We saw Juno and it made me cry. I'm sure I can't be the only one who cried, but I would guess my reasons were different than most. It was a good movie though, but I would have liked to see a slightly different ending. Maybe they'll make a sequel. Actually, there are several possible follow-up stories they could do, but I don't see it happening.

BIL & his girlfriend left yesterday. It took them a little over 8 hours to make what is normally a 5 hour trip. The weather was awful and they encountered a lot of accidents that had traffic backed up. I think he was really stressed out driving in the snowy/icy conditions, because he really isn't used to it.

MIL left this morning so today things were pretty much back to normal at our house. I even found time for a nap! :)

No comments: