Wednesday, February 27, 2008

WFMW: Freezer cooking

This week I have put 5 casseroles in my freezer, and we had one last night and will have one tonight. I bought groceries Friday and planned to assemble casseroles Saturday, but ended up not getting around to it until this week. Since I'm home with an infant and a toddler during the week, I didn't accomplish as much as I planned in one day, and instead spread it over 3 days. Monday I boiled my chicken. I bought a BIG chicken so I got a lot of meat off it...enough meat for 7 casseroles to feed me, David, and Matthew!

So anyway, basically Monday I boiled the chicken and put the broth in the freezer to use later! Tuesday I picked the meat out and threw away the skin & bones. Then I assembled my first recipe (chicken spaghetti if anyone's interested). I made enough for 3 casseroles - put one in the oven & the other 2 in the freezer. I put the rest of my chicken in the fridge to use today.

Today I assembled the other recipe. It's a tex-mex chicken dish that I'm trying for the first time. I was planning to make 3 casseroles and freeze them all, but I ended up with a lot of "stuff" left over so I just put it together as a 4th casserole & we're eating it tonight.

So basically I spent about 3 hours of hands-on time...shopping, chopping, picking meat off bones, and assembling, and we have 7 dinners! Well, main dishes for dinner anyway! :)

There have been a lot of "freezer cooking" dinner places popping up around the country and we have used one here. I like it a lot, but we thought the meals were overpriced. They were convenient though, so when I was working it was worth paying for that convenience. I need to sit down & figure out my total cost for these 7 dishes so I can figure out how much more the local place was...to see if it's worth me doing it all myself!

Anyway, that's what works for me this week! To see more tips, head over to Rocks in My Dryer.

2 comments:

nancy said...

hey - you don't worry about not commenting. I've been so IVF/ttc focused, I've really been "ignoring" all of the other blogs I usually read - like parenting blogs. It's not really on purpose, just you know life goes when you are stuck on one path. It's hard to look off your own path at the paths of other people.

I always end up coming back to your blog and then I see I've missed more than I thought I have - and I have to go read through it all. If anyone should be mentioning something about not commenting, it should be me.

I just got a call from school and miss allie is at 101 so I have to jet. I didn't even get to read your newest posts yet, just came over here to respond to your comment you left me.

~hugs and smooches~

CC said...

I love having a meal all good to go. I just don't ever get around to doing it! Oops!