Saturday, February 2, 2008

i lub pancakes

We had a truly great weekend. It was fairly quiet & I never even left the house, but it was just one of those weekends where things seemed to go well. The bad news first - Scarlett had definite signs of thrush in her mouth, so Friday I called the pediatrician again. Keep in mind they told me Wednesday that my sore boobies were due to teething, and Thursday they still weren't concerned. When I talked to them Friday I told them either I would bring her in, or they could tell me how to treat her. I was NOT going to accept not getting an answer. They told me the best thing to use is gentian violet. So we swipe it in her mouth once a day and have a purple mouthed baby. David's also teasing me because when she nurses it rubs off & turns my nipples purple! Fortunately, the medicine I got Thursday seems to be helping - I don't cry from the pain when Scarlett latches on now.

Now on to all the good stuff. Saturday morning I made pancakes, but Matthew didn't want pancakes, he wanted cereal. Since I hadn't started cooking at what is his normal breakfast time, we let him have cereal. Of course when David & I sat down to eat our pancakes, he wanted some too. I gave him one and when he finished it he proclaimed "I lub pancakes." Then he asked for more please. I gave him another one...the little fella ate the whole thing. That's 2 pancakes + the cereal & fruit he already had! Of course, I just lubbed hearing that he lubs pancakes!

The rest of the day was fairly calm - it seemed like he & Scarlett were both in good moods. We also found a food Scarlett will eat! Yogurt! She loves the stuff...she opened her mouth wide & really went after the spoon, for the first time ever. I thought she might just be figuring out how to eat, but when I tried giving her applesauce for breakfast Sunday she wasn't too interested. She is getting 2 meals a day now - applesauce + rice cereal for breakfast, and yogurt + rice cereal for supper. She still nurses about 5x/day too...I think it's safe to say that is still her favorite meal.

Saturday evening while David & I were cooking supper, he went to check on Matthew & Scarlett & called me over. I peeked around & saw Matthew running around - totally naked! I started laughing, and then noticed that Matthew had a clean diaper in his hand. It was then that David noticed the old diaper on the floor, right beside a small pile of poop! Oops...we're pretty sure that Matthew pooped IN the diaper, then took it off to try to change himself. I wish he had taken the diaper off & then pooped - that would make me feel like he was ready for some serious potty training. He seemed pretty proud of himself for his self-change attempt.

Then Saturday night at supper Matthew told his sweet potato "I lub you sweet potato". Then he looked at David - "I lub you Dada" - finally he looked at me - "I lub you mommy." He tells us both he lubs us frequently, but this was the first time it was totally out of the blue, without us saying it, and not at bedtime. Since then of course, I've noticed him throwing the word around a lot - he suddenly lubs everything.

Sunday was more quiet - we didn't visit a church this week. We said it was because Scarlett's mouth is purple...I think the honest appraisal is that we just weren't mentally up for another visit. This coming weekend when David's mom is here & we can leave her home with the babies, we will visit one, possibly 2! We watched the Super Bowl...actually, we dvr'd it & watched it once the kids went to bed. This is such a habit for us, but usually we fast forward through commercials...you can't really do that with the Super Bowl though, so instead we jumped through a lot of downtime between plays. Speaking of Super Bowl commercials...if you saw the Amp one where the guy attached the jumper cables to his nipples, and you cringed in pain...yep, that's how I felt last week!

A couple of quick baby book things - Scarlett's second tooth broke through Saturday and last Wednesday her daycare teacher told us she pulled up. She pulled up a few times this weekend too, but isn't a pro quite yet.

No comments: