Monday, February 18, 2008

A good weekend

I'm much less frustrated than I was at the end of last week. I know all children have their off days, just like we do. Why should I expect more of Matthew when I know even I have bad days? We had a pretty good weekend - we did some shopping Saturday and while we didn't get around to all the stores I wanted to go to, we finally found a lamp for Scarlett's room (only to get home & realize the base was cracked! but they had more...we'll try to swap it one day this week) and a lamp for our family room. I bought some paintings a while back, probably 2 years ago, that I wanted to hang above a table we have but the lamp we had on that table was too tall, and I've been off & on searching for one that was shorter & I thought would look good. I finally found it! I'm pretty excited about that, since I've been holding the paintings until we got a lamp - now I can put them up and expect it to look nice.

Matthew & Scarlett were good this weekend...David let me sleep in Saturday which is always nice. I got up to nurse Scarlett but then went straight back to bed. As much as I was thankful to sleep in, I also like for David to have time with both of them at the same time so that he has some appreciation for what I do every day. I have done the full time job thing, I know how that works. He's never done the stay at home part...lately I've felt some resentment because to me, being a SAHM means focusing on the children & spending time with them. Yes, I do believe I am more responsible for the housework than he is, but I also believe he still has a responsibility to help me with the household tasks. Lately I haven't felt like he's been very helpful. He does give the children baths while I clean up the kitchen after supper, but once they are in bed if there are things to be done, I am the one up & doing them, while he is sitting on his butt watching tv or playing online. I understand he has limited time to do these things, but what about me? I'm not exactly enjoying free time these days.

On that note, I have a whole new respect for full time SAHMs. I thought before that I had the best of both worlds when I was working part time, and now I am pretty sure that, at least for me, that is the best situation. I had a great job situation and I loved being home with Matthew & Scarlett part of the week. Now that we are home all week, I have a lot less patience so I have to work on that.

Sunday we went to church - we revisited one that we went to earlier this year, and to our disappointment we didn't like it as much as we did on that first visit. I think we will visit the nearby Methodist church soon.

No comments: