Wednesday, September 3, 2008

made it home

What a trip! We had a really fantastic time. I didn't get a serious case of baby fever - as much as I love newborns and all of the infant stages I realize a third one is just more than I could handle at this point. Someday, when Matthew & Scarlett are a little older.

Being around baby Jonah was great. You forget how quickly they grow, but he definitely grew a lot in the 2 weeks that we were there. He is such a cutie pie! I get homesick looking at pictures!

My sister and her husband seem to be adjusting to parenthood just fine. They tell stories of discussions in the middle of the night that one of them doesn't remember the next day - seems normal enough.

Matthew loved baby Jonah. He was very gentle and would pat his head and kiss him. He asked to hold him and we let him, with us standing careful guard! One of my nieces asked Matthew if he wanted us to have a baby at our house and he told them "my have a baby at my house - Scarlett is my baby." Scarlett was not interested in him much at the beginning of our visit, but the night I was away they said she kept going & loving on him. She got more & more loving as the visit went on.

I had my first overnight trip away from both kiddos. David & I had a good bit of work to do at our condo in Atlanta, so we decided to leave the kids at my parents' house and have a night to ourselves. We went to the Georgia Tech football season opener and then stayed at a hotel and got up early Friday to start work. The work ended up taking a lot longer than anticipated and we just barely beat rush hour traffic getting out of Atlanta. Then we stopped and did some shopping. We got all 4 of the small children clothes for Easter, or just church next spring/summer if they don't fit at Easter. I love the Strasburg store even more than Bailey Boys. But seriously, I can only shop their clearance racks, at least until I win the lotto! The dress I bought Belle fit perfect right now, so we decided she needed a bigger size. Since I had gotten the biggest one they had, we called a different location and they agreed to hold the larger size for a few days so we could exchange it. I decided to try Scarlett's on her, even though I bought her a 24M and she is only wearing 12M now, and it fit really well - she had a little growing room but not much. I decided since it was for next spring I should get a 2T instead. My older sister decided to go make the exchanges and I appreciated her saving me a trip. I mentioned that I wanted a lavender dress for Scarlett but it was only marked down a little bit so I wouldn't buy it. While she was making the exchanges, she looked at the clearance racks and realized it had been marked down more at that store, so she picked it up for me! What a great sister!

I am really not into clothes that much, but I just LOVE the smocked and embroidered dresses and jonjons. I joke that I will dress Matthew like a baby for as long as he will let me, but honestly I only do it on special occasions. Usually he's dressed like a normal boy. When we tried Scarlett's dress on her we declared her beautiful, and she ran to the mirror and then clapped. When we told her she was pretty she signed "more". Little diva! We tried Matthew's set on him also and he told us he wanted to look in the mirror. We told him he was handsome & when he looked he said "Wow" - not quite sure what to make of that but it was funny!

Matthew was SO happy to see David when we got back to my parent's house - I think it was the longest trip we've taken so I am sure he missed him. Scarlett was a little snot though and wanted nothing to do with him. She is so clingy it sometimes drives me nuts, but it made me want to spank her hard on her diaper when she cried in her daddy's arms! She took about 3 days to warm up to him! I think our next trip might need to be shorter. Change that, it definitely needs to be shorter, I was glad to get home again, even though I already miss Georgia. Every time I am sad to leave!

No comments: