Thursday, September 11, 2008

I feel gypped

I'm frugal, most of you know that by now. And I grew up on $8 haircuts. BUT, I grew up in a small town where everyone charged $8, and most of them did a really good job. Most of them also owned their own little shops, so I went, got a cut, gave them $8 and left. No tipping, no fancy salons, no wine & fruit, just give me a haircut & I'm outta there. When I went to college I stayed faithful to my "back home" hairdresser and got my hair cut when I went home for visits. Sometimes I even planned visits home because I needed a trim. Since I stayed in Atlanta for a long time after college, I continued to plan visits home regularly enough to get my hair trimmed, but eventually that became difficult and inconvenient. So I went through the process of finding a stylist in Atlanta that I liked. I quickly realized I wasn't going to pay a bargain $8 and get a good cut. I wasn't going to get a good cut for $40, much less 8. And then, there's the whole tipping thing. But alas, it's worth it to have a stylist I like and who can cut my hair so that I'm satisfied.

I finally found someone here that I thought I liked, but really I don't like her, but she does a good job on my hair. I don't like her because she is bland, she has no personality that is obvious, or either we just don't click. I've never had a stylist that didn't chitter chatter the whole time they were cutting, but this chick struggles to put together 3 sentences. So I sit and babble, and eventually decide to STFU cuz I'm tired of hearing myself talk. But that's beside the point - she does a decent job on my hair. I just had a cut and feel totally gipped though. I go in, discuss what I want changed from the way it looks right then, and we head over to the shampoo chair. She wets my hair, says oh it is so clean, let's go back to the chair. What? Huh? You mean you're not going to wash my hair with the yummy smelling shampoo that you sell for $20+ a bottle? (Again, I'm frugal, the only time my hair sees $20+ shampoo and conditioner is at the salon.) But I don't say anything, because frankly I'm stunned. (And in case you're wondering I had washed my hair at 10am and the haircut was at 6pm...more time between washings than a lot of days I get it cut.)

Of course my bill at checkout still came to $53, even though she didn't wash my hair and it took a lot less time than normal. And I tipped my normal $10, even though I was annoyed. I scheduled my next appointment, but now that I still feel annoyed over this I don't know if I'll go back or find someone else.

Would you be annoyed if you didn't get the shampoo?

2 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

TOTALLY annoyed. I understand how you feel.

Thanks for entering the All Thumbs giveaway for the Melting Pot Gift Pack. We'll announce the winner tomorrow, so check back.

We hope you continue to be a regular reader, Kaci.

You really should have had that shampoo.

Anonymous said...

I pay less if I just get a quick cut - I want to say its like $27 instead of $35 or something like that.