Sunday, September 28, 2008

potty talk

I've been kinda trying to potty train Matthew. Since our last trip to Georgia he has shown more interest. I think because my niece is potty trained and they are best buddies. But he's very back & forth...one day he'll always want to go and the next day he fusses every time I mention it. So I dunno - he's also not showing a lot of the classic readiness signs. BUT I think to myself, he's almost 3, he SHOULD be ready!

Well, Scarlett has been saying "potty" and patting her lower belly every time I change her diaper lately. She also runs to the gate whenever I ask Matthew if he needs to potty. So I kinda thought she might be interested & understand a bit about it so we started putting her on the potty occasionally. Well this morning David let me sleep in and he said she & Matthew were playing & suddenly she stood up & said "potty" and went to the gate. He asked her if she needed to potty and she grabbed the gate and said potty again. So he took her & she peed! So maybe I will get her & Matthew both trained at the same time. Is it even possible to train one this young?

If anyone has tips on getting her or Matthew trained, let me know. I know there's tons of theories out there, but I'd love to know what worked for you. Do you leave them in diapers while you're training them, or do you put them in underwear/panties? Do you pump them full of liquid and take them to sit on it, or follow their normal eat/drink routine and just take them regularly? Do you take them if they don't want to go? Help me out here folks!

No comments: