Monday, September 15, 2008

where to begin

This weekend was somewhat chaotic, but it couldn't have been more perfect. We decided pretty late Friday afternoon to do our grocery shopping after dinner Friday night. It worked out pretty well, even though I missed the yoga/pilates class I normally go to on Friday nights. I decided I just didn't have time for 2 trips to the gym over the weekend, and I prefer the Saturday boot camp to the Friday yogalates.

As for boot camp, I am finally getting to a point that I can *almost* keep up with everyone else, and I don't feel utterly exhausted after class. I also don't feel that I *must* get in the hot tub before bed to ensure that I can move the next day. That's a good thing, but I did like having an excuse to get in the hot tub every weekend! Although it's been good I didn't have to, since the last 2 Saturday nights it's been raining.

Then most of the rest of the weekend was spent cleaning. You see, I am a horrible housekeeper. I know a lot of people say this, but I really mean it. Anyway, Saturday, we got the kitchen really clean. I mean sparkly, eat off the floor clean. We also made progress in other rooms, but the kitchen was the only room I felt was truly clean. Sunday we finished the rest of the downstairs....and yes, it's all eat off the floor clean. (Mind you we wouldn't really eat off the floor, but it's super clean!)

Saturday night we watched an AFI film, but not Pulp Fiction (which was next on the list). We have it on VHS but want to get the DVD from the library & it's checked out. I'll post about the movie we watched later. While we watched the movie, I folded & put away all the laundry that I had let pile up. Again, NOT a housekeeper...I don't mind washing the clothes, but getting them put away is a real thorn in my side!

The weather all weekend was awful and the Sunday evening forecast was even worse. 80% chance of rain, cool, and strong winds, with possible tornadoes! EEK! We had concert tickets, for an outdoor venue, in the lawn area (which is uncovered, unassigned, grass). I told David that no matter how much I was looking forward to the show, if the weather was as bad as they predicted we should find something else to do. I wasn't going to pass up the chance to get out of the house, since we had a sitter lined up & we desperately need to find someone willing to sit for us on a regular basis.

The sitter showed up right on time, and we were surprised to see she brought another girl with her. The sitter was a girl from the daycare center Matthew & Scarlett used to go to, and the other girl was another teacher there. Fine by us, we had actually called her before we called the girl who was available. I had been telling Matthew all day that "Miss J" was coming to play with him. He ran to her & gave her a big hug, and then ran to Miss A and gave her one too. Scarlett was even agreeable about them being there. I think being at home put her at ease with them. We left for the concert - the rain was seeming to hold off, but who knew what the next few hours would bring!

Let me just say Toby Keith puts on a great show! We missed most of the opening acts, but saw Montgomery Gentry (also great) and I don't think it could have rained hard enough to tear me away once Toby was on stage. I heart him. But fortunately, the rain was light & the wind was not as bad as they'd said. Oh but the hill...quite muddy. Lots of accidental slips & falls that resulted in people sliding all the way down. I almost fell as we were trying to find a spot to enjoy the show. Thankfully I was holding the hand of my big strong hubby and he rescued me. While they were getting the stage set for Toby, a lot of people just started sliding down the hill on purpose. That kept the rest of the crowd entertained during the break! But oh Toby - he rocked! His new album isn't coming out until the end of October so he sang mostly 'old' songs, it was pretty much a performance of greatest hits. Sweet! I hate when I go to a concert and they sing a lot of stuff off their new upcoming album and I don't know any of it.

We got home & Miss J and Miss A told us how great Matthew & Scarlett were. They hung out with us for a while, talking about our kids & the center. They talked about how Scarlett is a "real pistol" and "into everything" and that Matthew is "so laid back and sweet" - sounds like the kiddos showed their true colors! After they left I went in the kitchen & realized these girls also emptied the dishwasher & cleaned up all the supper dishes! I told David we didn't pay them enough! :)

2 comments:

nancy said...

You are my hero. 40 lbs!!! You fucking rule. (sorry about no comments lately, the parenting blogs are usually the last to be read and I get commenting tired. I suck, yes, I know. But I'm here!!)

nancy said...

Sweet. Sounds like a very productive weekend with a fun ending!