Friday, August 8, 2008

I think I've lost my mind!

Um, I just paid $210 for 6 diapers! Wow! I can't believe I did it. It's done, I "clicked here" and paid, so it's signed, sealed, delivered. Not really delivered, since I have to wait on my order, but you KWIM. No going back, unless I want to pay the 10% restocking fee, plus shipping to send them back once they arrive. Am I nuts? I'm sure all y'all are wondering, since I'm sitting here wondering myself.

Back when I first thought about trying cloth diapers, I joined a couple of message boards to try to learn from real people what they liked, didn't like, how they washed, etc. I've kind of stuck around, but I'm primarily one of "those" people who lurk. Anywho, these ladies RAVE about this one particular kind of diaper, but complain that they are always out of stock. The retail price is $35/diaper. People are saying they pay over retail for used ones. Yes, used! Ones that have already been peed in and pooped on! So I was curious. Curious enough to spend $210. I ordered 6 because to get one at a time (or anything less than 6), you have to hit the website at just the right moment, and all the internet gods have to be smiling down on you, because from all accounts, you can see that something is in stock, add it to your cart, yada yada, and the system crashes because so many moms are desperate for these diapers. Server just can't handle it. You have to be LUCK--EEEE to get these things. BUT, the woman will sell lots of 6 or 12 as custom orders - and you just have to wait 6-8 weeks on them. So I just paid $210 for 6 diapers, that I have to wait 6-8 weeks for! Crazy!

But I did my research - on eBay, the average price of these diapers, before shipping, is $42 and some change. The "print" option, which is what I ordered, averaged $53 and some change. BEFORE shipping! The math is simple...I ordered 6, I'll keep one to use, so I can really see what the hype is about. I'll sell the rest, hopefully for $45 each. $45 * 5 diapers = $225...I'm making $15 for my trouble & I get a diaper out of the deal. If I can't sell them for a profit, I'm confident I can sell them for $35 each and at least not lose anything...but it sure would be nice to pay for the diaper I keep too. Maybe I'm not crazy after all?

But geeze, $35 for a diaper?


P.S. Blogger spell check doesn't like internet. says it should be capitalized. hmmm

1 comment:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Wow! Those must be SOME diapers!

I'm eager to know what you think about them. Do they live up to their billing?

Thanks for your very sweet comment on All Thumbs today. It's one of those warm fuzzies that came at a good time.