Thursday, January 17, 2008

Board books don't go tub

Oh boy, what a day. Daycare called at 4:50 Tuesday to tell me Scarlett was sick. Sure enough, she got home & had a temp of about 101, a really snotty nose, and a cough. Not to mention she was pretty dazed seeming, and she's usually a bright-eyed, smiley faced baby. Yesterday morning she seemed to be feeling a little better, but still was in the zone, not smiling much at all, and I could tell she still didn't feel good. She wasn't running a fever though. She has also had a diaper rash that wasn't improving with Desitin, it was actually getting worse, so I decided to call the pediatrician. I also had a lunch date with a friend, so I checked with her on bringing Scarlett along. Had a lovely time at lunch, took a bottle just in case Scarlett needed to eat (nope, she was fine), headed home, Scarlett started screaming! I finally stopped the car to figure out what was wrong - she was hungry so I nursed her in the parking lot where I'd stopped. Why I didn't feed her the bottle at lunch I don't know, and why I thought I'd have time to get home before she wanted to eat I don't know. I really thought she'd nap the whole trip home. Nope!

Anyway, I then went straight to the doctor's office and they basically said it is a really really nasty cold, possibly RSV but she didn't think it was RSV. They want us to do breathing treatments for a few days and if she doesn't improve then they will know it is most likely RSV so the treatment will be different. Scarlett did great for the first treatment, but she has fought them since! Her diaper rash that wouldn't respond to desitin was actually a yeast infection, so it makes sense that the desitin wasn't helping. We got a prescription for the infection and for the meds for her cold and off to the pharmacy we go. Get there, it's going to be about a 15 minute wait, so I stick Scarlett in a buggy and start browsing. I love CVS and they had a lot of stuff 50% off. I probably would have gone crazy but I didn't have my purse, just the diaper bag, and my CVS card was in my purse. No card, no deal, so no shopping for me!

We got the scripts and then headed to the hospital to pick up the machine at the supply store. First, I've never been to this hospital before, even though it is the closest to my house. So I called David to find out where exactly it is. Get there and they charge $2 for parking! I figure I'm only going to be there 5 minutes and I'm way too cheap frugal to pay parking if I don't have to, so I left and went to another medical supply store that I knew had free parking. I quickly did the math in my head & the gas to get there & home wasn't going to cost $2. Don't most places usually give you the first 15 minutes free? ARGH!

By the time I finally got home I had to nurse Scarlett & go pick up Matthew. I felt like it had been a busy day running around to make sure she's healthy!

After supper I took Matthew for his bath, and he wanted to potty. First, he wanted to sit on the big potty. So I squat and hold him up while he sits. I guess we need to get an insert if he's going to want to sit there. (I made a typo and typed "shit there" at first...I didn't mean that but I guess it's appropriate?) Then he told me "all done" but wanted to sit on his potty. I am so patient I let him...and gave him the book that we usually read while he sits there. We read it (3x!) and then he tossed it in the tub, which I of course had already filled. I said "your board book doesn't need a bath" to which he replied "board books don't go tub". I guess that says it all, huh? Wet cardboard...yuck! I think I need to buy some tub appropriate books.

No comments: