Thursday, June 5, 2008

Prayer / Good thought request

Often we see stories about tragedies in the news and for me, it is much harder to read when the tragedy involves a child. This request is not for someone I know, I have never met them and have no "real" relationship with them. However, I am part of an online community for clubfoot support, specifically for the Ponseti Method. This tragedy relates to someone who is also part of that community. Dr. Ponseti is a true pioneer in the world of clubfoot treatment, developing his methods over the last 60 years. He is an awesome doctor who does awesome things for families, seeing patients from all over the world, often as a "last resort" before major surgery. One of the many things about his method for correcting clubfoot is that it does not require surgery in many cases. I could write a huge post about how wonderful Dr. Ponseti is, but I will save that for another day. What I really want to focus on here is the family that was seeking his help. The mother and daughter traveled from Georgia to Iowa via Angel Flight. Angel Flight is a made up of a group of pilots who volunteer their time and equipment to fly people for medical treatment (at no cost to the person who needs their services). On the return flight, the plane crashed. The pilot and mother were injured but the real tragedy is that the daughter was killed. You can read more details here.

If you could please take a moment today to say a prayer for everyone involved in this. The pilot was obviously a caring person to dedicate much of his time to the Angel Flight cause and I cannot imagine the feelings and emotions he is going through. I can't even try to think of how the mother is feeling...I really do believe losing a child has to be the worst thing that could happen to a person. It brings me to tears every time I think about it. If you're not the praying kind, please think good thoughts for them, that they are able to heal and move forward through this awful time.

1 comment:

nancy said...

I totally can't read and triggery things right now. So I'm not commenting on this post.

BUT ... damn girl. 20 lbs lost? You are ROCKING it!!! Congrats!