Friday, June 13, 2008

an evening out

Earlier this week David suggested we go out for burgers one night. We picked Thursday and he suggested that Matthew, Scarlett, & I meet him at work around 5:30. Normally this would be fine, but yesterday Scarlett napped forever! She took a 3 hour nap in the morning and then another one in the afternoon. Finally at 6:20 I went upstairs and made a lot of noise hoping she would wake up. I hate to wake a sleeping baby, and figured there was no reason to wake her so we could meet David at 5:30, but after she'd been down 3 hours I decided enough was enough. David decided to just come on home, I nursed Scarlett, and off we went. He wouldn't tell me where we were going, but I knew it wasn't a normal place, it was farther away. Finally we arrived at Sonic! Until now there haven't been any Sonics in this area, and we've missed it...more for their drinks than their food, but it was nice to see they are expanding to this area. BUT, the line was SO long - they had the drive to the restaurant blocked off and had signs in the parking lot (it was an outparcel at a Meijer) directing Sonic customers to go to one of the lanes in the regular Meijer lot. When we followed the signs we realized there were 2 lines of cars - one for drive through and the other for the parking stalls. There were roughly 10 cars waiting for parking stalls and about 15 waiting for the drive through! We decided since it was already about an hour past our normal supper time, it wasn't worth the wait.

We ended up going to Wendy's and heading off to a park. The park was on the river, and it was really nice. We picnicked and then walked down to the end of the pier. There were tons of people out fishing and we saw 2 different guys reeling fish in. Matthew was amazed at it - I think next time we're in Georgia we'll have to take him to the pond! He wanted to touch the fish, but we didn't let him since we didn't want him to stink all the way home! :) We also watched boats in the river, fed some seagulls, and then headed to the play area. Matthew took his first spin on a merry go round, with some much bigger kids. They were standing up so he did too, but then suddenly he wanted to sit down but couldn't with it spinning! He kind of fell down and David quickly stopped it so he wouldn't fall totally off. He immediately wanted back on.

Scarlett climbed all over the equipment, not seeming to mind the other kids running around - she did her own thing, but climbed steps and went down slides without any problems. She also went through some of the tunnels but stopped half way through so I had to go in and "chase" her out! Matthew found a playmate, a little boy that I guess was probably around 4. The other little boy was a little bossy but then I heard Matthew tell him "no it's MY pirate ship - my drive first." I was glad he didn't let the older kid boss him too much. Scarlett wandered over to another little girl so I chatted with the mom while they played near each other. The other girl turned one last week, and it turned out that the boy Matthew was playing with was her child as well. If we had been near home I would have tried to set up a playdate, but we were about 20 miles away. I'd rather meet people in our neighborhood...

We let time slip away and didn't get home until after 10. Both kids napped great yesterday so they were in good moods the whole time. When David was getting Matthew ready for bed Matthew kept talking about his day. David asked him what his favorite part was and Matthew said "my mommy". Ah, melt, melt. When David told me that, Matthew looked at me & said "I love you mommy." Oh yeah, more melting. It's nice to know I top the playground, fish, boats, rivers, feeding seagulls, picnicking, all that fun stuff!

Now that I've shared Matthew's favorite part of the day, I'll share two of my favorite things. Scarlett is very active when she nurses - she's curious and nosy about everything so she frequently pops on & off the breast to see what's going on. This drives me bonkers. Sometimes though, when she pops off, she smiles up at me then sits up and kisses me and goes back to nursing. She also will stop and smile and pat me on the cheek. I love these moments.

One of my favorite things I've noticed Matthew doing lately is accidentally making Scarlett laugh. When this happens, he realizes it and he does whatever it was over and over again. For example, she thinks it's funny when he sneezes. So he'll notice that sneezing made her laugh & then he'll fake sneeze again & again, just to make her laugh. I love that he loves her enough to want her to be happy and laughing.

Life is good.

No comments: