Tuesday, June 17, 2008

hit by a car!

Since I've been trying to knit wool diaper soakers, I volunteered to help a woman test a pattern she wrote. She wanted some experience knitters and some complete newbies, well HELLO! Complete newb here. The bummer is that it is a "in the round" pattern and I need to buy needles. Well, the local Joanns & Michaels didn't have the sizes that I needed, so I decided to visit the local yarn store. It has awful hours so finally I decided I'd just put the kiddos in the bike trailer used as double stroller & take a nice walk. It's only about 1.5 miles from home & it's nice neighborhood streets.

Well we are approaching an intersection and I see a car pull up. The driver stops at the stop sign but there is traffic coming on the other street, so she has to sit and wait. I proceed to cross the street and suddenly I realize the car is MOVING! She was not moving when I started crossing. I quickly moved the trailer (and kiddos) to the other side of me, and banged on her hood several times, and shouted (profanities). Finally I got her attention but she hit me and the edge of the bike trailer. I'm glad I got it kind of out of the way. I walk over to her window, and see that she is TALKING ON HER FREAKING CELL PHONE! ARGGGGHHHHH! I was beyond pissed. She quickly apologizes and starts to drive away. I had a few more not so nice words for her about how she needs to hang up the phone and concentrate on her driving since she obviously can't handle the two tasks at the same time, and that she needs to learn to watch for pedestrians too...I was really angry. Well who wouldn't be after getting hit by a car?!?!

After I walked away I really regretted not calling the cops. On one hand, it seems kind of petty to call them, no one was hurt, blah blah, but on the other hand, what if I hadn't noticed that she was moving? What if I had Matthew in the umbrella stroller & Scarlett in the sling? They wouldn't have been as protected then. What if she doesn't learn to pay better attention and next time the result is worse? So yeah, I wish I had called the cops. Part of me also just thinks it would have served her right to have to sit there for the 15-30 minutes it would have taken them to show up. She'd have gotten a ticket too, at least one, possibly two...and frankly, when you hit MY CHILDREN (even if they're in their stroller and even if it's just a bump) then yeah, I think punishment is deserved. Yeah, really wishing I had called.

To top it all off, I was really disappointed in the local yarn store. The needles I needed would have cost me $24 to buy - I can order them from an online store for $13, including shipping. They also had a great yarn selection, but again, very overpriced. AND, no one in the store even spoke to me. While I *hate* pushy salespeople, I do like to be greeted when I walk into a small shop like this. If I had been properly greeted & asked if I needed anything, I probably would have spent the money on the needles, since I'm anxious to get started on the pattern testing.

2 comments:

Becky said...

OMG Kaci - I am so glad you all are alright! I'm sure I would have handled it the same, not call the cops and later regretted that decision. People today need a wake up call, too many do not pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel.

IdleMindOfBeth said...

OH MY GAWD!!!!

So glad to hear that you're all ok!

I want to call the cops for you! Stoopid cellphone-talking-not-paying-attention-to-the-road-while-driving-BE-OTCH!