Monday, July 28, 2008

our newest addition

My baby sister had her first baby Saturday. It's been a nerve-wracking few days (I can only imagine how it's been for her!) as her water broke late Thursday night but she didn't start having contractions until they admitted her Friday morning and hooked her up to pitocin. She still never made much progress and he was born via c-section Saturday morning. He was a good size, at 5 lbs 13 oz, and 18.75" long, but he had a little trouble breathing. They decided Saturday afternoon to transfer him to another hospital about an hour from where they live (he was born just about 5 miles from their house).

I have to admire her for holding it together the way she has. I think I would have been a complete basketcase if they had told me they had to transfer Matthew or Scarlett and I had not been able to keep them right there with me the whole time. I also can't imagine barely seeing them for the first 24 hours, not holding them for over 24 hours, and so on. I know the medical needs come first but I am really admiring her strength right now. She seemed to keep a level head and let logic guide her. She's usually the emotional one of the 3 of us. Much more sensitive than I am...yet she was really strong through all of this.

They are hoping their little butterbean will be released tomorrow. He is already off the ventilator and on just a little oxygen. They are hoping to wean him off that today, let her nurse him so they can make sure he's sucking ok, that he is strong enough to eat & breathe, and if all that goes well they'll get to take him home tomorrow morning. If you're the praying type, please say a prayer for this new family.

Here is a picture just before he was transferred:


Here's my baby sis holding her son for the first time:


Here is his daddy giving him some love:

No comments: