Wednesday, July 30, 2008

gotta do a little childproofing

I have a confession to make. I'm not big on childproofing. While I don't remember when I was a tot, I do remember when my little sister was a baby. My parents didn't childproof, and yep, we turned out ok. Admittedly, that was back in the day of those wooden box televisions that sat on the floor, so there weren't entertainment centers to climb on & wires from vcrs, dvd players, surround sound, etc. everywhere, but they still had outlets. And I don't ever remember there being a cover on them. While we've done some basic child-proofing, I am still a firm believer that nothing is better than supervision.

But the reality is, I can't be there to supervise the kiddos all the time. Even though they are my job, I still can't watch them 100% of the time. Well, not even 100% of the time they are awake. Last night I told David a "cute little story" about Matthew playing doctor. Part of my intent of sharing the cute story was to explain to him WHY we need to do something about our mini-blind cords. Matthew loves to climb on the couch & pull the blinds up. This leaves a helluva long cord. Yesterday he wrapped it around his neck (YEP. AROUND HIS NECK!) and had the bottom part of it pretending it was a stethoscope and he was listening to Scarlett's heart & lungs. Pretty cute, except for the part that was wrapped AROUND HIS NECK! And folks, this was just in the time it took me to put a diaper in the diaper pail!

I explained that he shouldn't wrap things around his neck and then I tied the cords up where I didn't think he could reach them. I walked into the kitchen to wash up breakfast dishes & heard "mommy I need help" - come back in & he has another freaking cord around his neck. This one MUCH tighter than the one yesterday. So um, I gotta figure out how to keep these things out of his reach.

It kills me to say this, but maybe Kim was right about something after all. I really should do some childproofing. I still don't think green beans will cure a headache though. :)

2 comments:

IdleMindOfBeth said...

LMAO @ the Kim reference!

Mike's got this little trick with the mini blind cords... When the blinds are down as far as you'll ever want them (ours are just below the ledge), snip the cord about 2-3 inches from the top. If it has those little plastic hangie-things, they can be re-tied on to the new shorter cord.

It will DEFINITELY make for much shorter cords, and might even get them out of Matthew's reach when the blinds are closed.

Hmmmmm, perhaps there's a WFMW post in there?

Meredith said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the blinds you can email a site and they send you a kit to make them safe for free. It's http://www.3day.com/Servicecenter/Childsafety.aspx It took maybe a week to get mine in the mail.