Thursday, October 2, 2008

more about the FIL

Nancy asked why FIL is partial to Scarlett. The short answer is I have no clue. I could give a dozen or so reasons of how he has shown he's partial, but I still can't figure out why. My main thought is that maybe he's just one of those people who prefers girls. That sounds kind of creepy, but you know a lot of people have a preference as to gender when they are having a baby. It's totally normal for women to "care" what gender their baby is, and pretty normal for men to want a son. But now that I say I think he prefers girls it does seem creepy. He's totally not creepy though. If he was I wouldn't let him around her!

FIL has 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls. I've never noticed that he treats them with any preference, but he was only around for 100% of the time with the youngest daughter. He & David's mom were together until David was around 10, but I don't think he was a real hands-on dad during that time. I don't think he was the "go outside & play ball" type of dad, but I don't know why. Maybe I'll ask David. I can't remember him ever talking about memories of his dad from when he was young, other than shooting pool and playing video games. His dad owned a game room type place, so I think they spent a lot of time there. Maybe not so much outside, doing more typical father/son activities. But FIL lived with his youngest (girl) from pretty soon after she was born until she graduated from high school and went away to college. So I'm guessing he's just more comfortable with girls? I really don't know.

And Nancy, great game last night. I actually kinda like Boston, since during my Georgia Tech days I watched many games with Garciaparra and Varitek. The Braves will always be my #1 MLB team though.

2 comments:

nancy said...

Totally. A GREAT game last night. Well, after the 7th inning ;)

I'm already nervous for tomorrow's game.

nancy said...

I didn't finish before hitting enter.

My father is partial to his granddaughters. It's like he gives them added attention because they are little girls and boys should just be tough boys. ~shrug~. Maybe it's their generation.