Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday ramblings

What a week! I'm glad it's Friday. It's been a hard week, but hopefully that means next week will be a good one.

Let's see, I'll start with today. We had Scarlett's 15 month check up this morning. We had to wait a long time, both in the waiting room & the exam room. Matthew & Scarlett were very good though, playing quietly with other kids in the waiting room, and then they went a little wild in the exam room, but the door was closed so they weren't bothering anyone. They danced around on the table, tearing all the paper and throwing it around the room. They had fun! Oh, and the check up - we saw a different doctor today and she was very nice. She adored Scarlett and seemed amazed by everything Scarlett did. She told us Scarlett is very advanced for her age and at one point said "I just love her." Scarlett weighed in at 21 lb 12 oz and was 31" long, which is right on the curve she's been on on the charts. She had 3 shots, 2 normal vaccines + a flu shot. Matthew also got a flu shot and was such a big boy. He didn't cry at all and barely flinched. He loved the zebra 'sticker' they put on his leg and asked for more. Scarlett did cry but as soon as the shots were over she went right back to playing & dancing.

Oh, then, then, we went to lunch at a little deli. And I, yes I, drove the Bronco! I forgot to mention that David has driven the Bronco to work & back (and on whatever errands he's run) every day this week (except Monday). It hasn't stalled or refused to start up a single time. Ok, now that I've said that, it probably won't start when he tries to come home today. I hope I didn't jinx him. But yeah, I drove it from the doc's office to the deli. Not very far, but it's a 3 speed, with the shifter on the steering column instead of the floor. And it's got NO power ANYTHING. So totally different than anything I've ever driven. Even my sister's old VW bug has the shifter in the floor. But yeah, I drove it. And boy did I get stares. I think when you live in the Motor City & drive something like that, you can't help but get them, but it was kinda interesting. I was a nervous wreck driving it because I didn't want it to break down on me! Even thought it wouldn't be my fault. I'm amazed it's run all week! (Side note: while this was going to be an ongoing project, David hasn't spent a lot of time on it. He has started spending at least a couple of hours each week tinkering on it though, so hopefully we'll see good results.)

As hard as this week has been, we've had several good moments. Wednesday night as I put Matthew to bed, he said "Thank you for cooking me a good supper tonight, mommy." Totally out of the blue. How sweet was that?

I sing "skinamarink" to Scarlett a lot, and now when I start singing it to her, she will sing "I uuuhhh OOOOO" and point at me. (That's "I love you" for those of you who can't sound out my 'scarlett spelling' and maybe don't know the song.) I know she's just responding to the song, but it's still sweet.

Scarlett is still showing a lot of interest in pottying, so I'm letting her sit on it as often as she wants to, and for as long as she wants to. She doesn't actually use it very much, but maybe she's making the connection.

And Matthew, I don't think he means to be funny sometimes, but he is. David was getting him ready for bed & Matthew was talking & suddenly burped mid-sentence. I didn't notice the burp, it was a quiet one. But David said "what do you say?" and Matthew burped a HUGE burp. I couldn't help but laugh - it was a response you'd expect from a teenager. I KNOW it wasn't on purpose, but it was still funny. So, David's trying to teach him manners and I am just laughing. Matthew did say excuse me once I turned my head away though! Maybe the manners will win out!

Have a great weekend :) We're hoping to go to an apple orchard and do some leaf viewing. Might try camping with the kiddos. Not sure on that yet - I'm not sure I want to worry about keeping them warm in a tent!

No comments: