Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trip summary

First, the people who work for Northwest here are assholes. I was not able to get a gate pass for David to help me when we left, even though before I made the reservation their customer service people told me it wouldn't be a problem. That didn't start my morning off right. Then the flight attendant was a bitch. I put matthew's car seat rear-facing because that is supposed to be safer, and she told me if he got crushed in an impact between the 2 seats she would not be able to help me and it would be on me. I told her I would take that responsibility and that if we had an impact that severe his neck would be broken if he was front facing. I then thanked her for the wonderful customer service she was providing. Yep, that's the nice southern belle bitch in me. Anyway, the children were very well behaved on the flight. I knew I would need to feed Scarlett so I took the dvd player out for Matthew. Clifford was playing as they announced it was time to sore electronic devices for landing and when I turned it off Matthew screamed "more woof woof". Kinda cute but he was really upset with me. He didn't understand and I didn't have anything "better" than a dvd to distract him. Fortunately he did not fuss for very long.

Sunday we went to church with my family - both children were very good in church. My younger sister sang a solo and when she went up to the front Matthew kinda yelled out "Aunt Ash" - my sister loved it that he called her without prompting! While the offering was being collected the pianist was playing a special and when she stopped Matthew asked for "more please". I just love how vocal he has become! I also noticed in one of the hymns that he took the hymn book from my dad and then started swaying back and forth. A little farther into the song he started singing the tune, and actually got some of the words! Precious!

Scarlett was very attentive when it came time for the sermon! My mom knew it was naptime so she kept cradling her trying to get her to go to sleep but Scarlett would fuss so my mom would sit her up. When she was sitting up she stared at the preacher while he preached.

Near the end of the service Matthew was getting kind of restless so I pulled out the tupperware container of Cheerios. As soon as he saw it he loudly said "YUMMY". I was a little embarrassed but all of the people in the church were understanding and thought he was cute.

Monday we took Matthew fishing for the first time. He didn't seem too interested, but I guess that's because we didn't catch anything. He preferred watching the cows and horses. We were out playing in the yard and Matthew suddenly took off for the road. He headed straight for the combine that was left out in the field at Granny's. He wanted to climb and play on it, but I think he's a little too small. So instead my mom gets the lawnmower for him. They sit on it and she starts it up. He immediately started trying to push her off - he wanted it all to himself! So we shut it off and let him sit on it, but he wanted to go. It was pretty funny watching her try to sit on the edge so he could sit in the seat and drive! Maybe we have a farmer in the making?

Granny was doing MUCH better than our last visit - she was like a different person. I think she really enjoyed the babies this time. I am relieved that her health is so much better.

We had some professional portraits taken and I can't wait to see the proofs! I know it will be hard to choose though. The same guy who took these also did my wedding pictures 10 years ago so I am familiar with his work and have always been pleased with it in the past. His wife gave me a goody bag for Matthew as we were leaving and she put in a lot of candy. She mentioned that it might be good on the flight home. Yeah, just what I want - a sugar loaded toddler! LOL

The airport experience was much better at home than here - they gave my daddy a gate pass so he could go with us and help through security. It was much easier having an extra set of hands! Other passengers actually helped me get the car seat on the plane, but the flight attendant was very nice this time. It was amazing how much better I was treated on the return trip. The only negative was that the short term parking was closed and David could not park near the airport - he would have needed to take a shuttle to help me at baggage claim, so he just pulled up to the loading/unloading area. I was able to manage all the luggle and the children for a short walk to get to the car though, so even that wasn't too bad.

As nervous as I was about the experience, I felt like Superwoman that I was able to handle it! Silly I know.

Of course my visit home was wonderful - I always get homesick though because I really want to live closer to my family than we do. David is happy with his job and the economy here is awful, so it would be difficult to sell our house if we decided to move, so I kind of feel stuck here for a while. Hopefully things will change soon and we can relocate somewhere closer. Then of course I feel guilty for getting homesick because I know David is happy - and shouldn't I be happy anywhere that he is happy? And honestly, I am happy, I just know I would be happier if we lived in Georgia!

No comments: