Monday, October 29, 2007

Our weekend

Our weekends tend to be a big relief for me - I get to enjoy Matthew and Scarlett but David's home to help out with all the work. And of course I enjoy him too :) Saturday was pretty much consumed with doing stuff around the house - cleaning, laundry, typical boring stuff that there just isn't time for during the week. Sunday we did a little shopping. Our last stop was at the produce market and by the time we got there Matthew & Scarlett were both asleep in the car. David & I decided I would go in & shop while he sat with them. I got everything we needed for the week and then went up to check out. As I pulled out my credit card to swipe it, they said their system was down. I am the type that doesn't carry cash, and David had given me all of his when I went in another store earlier. I had $18 in my pocket, my total had come to $29+change. I called David to see if we had a checkbook in the car - no dice. So I turn to the man behind me and apologize for being slow, then start going through my bags trying to separate what we really needed versus what I just thought would be good to have (apple cider - nice to have, not required). As I do that the man behind the first man asks how much short I was, and I told him about $12 - he handed me a twenty. I couldn't believe the generosity of this man. I tried to refuse it but he insisted, so I checked out & handed him my change, thanking him profusely the entire time. When I got to the car I noticed an ATM down the street so I sent David to it to get some cash and we repaid the man - but still, I am amazed by his generosity. There are still nice people out there!

When I was going through my buggy at the market, I was torn about what to do with the pumpkin - it was only $2, but I needed to cut $12 of stuff. Fortunately I didn't have to decide, and after Matthew's nap we went to the deck to carve the pumpkin. I thought he would really enjoy it, but when he first got the guts on his hand he said "YUCK" and then would try to only grab seeds. And every time an airplane flew over he had to stop playing with the pumpkin and point up yelling "airplane". Boy does he love planes!

We grilled steaks for supper. Usually we cut Matthew's off the bone but lately he has been asking for the bone, so we decided to just cut it part of the way so he could eat it straight off the bone. Is it bad that we give our son steak bones for supper?

After supper Matthew said "bath" and then said "shish ter bath" - so I asked him if he wanted me to bathe Scarlett and him together. He said yes, which surprised me because I have only done that once and bath time is usually pretty rowdy so I thought he didn't like her being in there. He was so cute trying to help me bathe her - I just love the way he treats her. To think I worried about jealousy!

As for Scarlett, she is becoming more & more mobile. While she's been rolling over for quite a while, she hasn't rolled, and rolled, and rolled. Now it's like she'll roll across the room in the blink of an eye. She's also showing a lot more personality and playing with her toys a lot more. I enjoy each stage so much, but I hate how quickly they go through them!

2 comments:

nancy said...

Wow. It's SO nice to hear stories like this! And seriously, what kind of market can get by without having the card machine up? This is something they need to tell people AS they walk inside! I'd have to walk away from my entire purchase if they told me I needed to pay with cash!!!

AWWW about Scarlett's rolling. Wow, I will really really really miss all of that if, for some reason, I am not able to get pregnant again. But YAY for Scarlett! Way to ROLL!!! :)

Kaci said...

Nancy - I just know you'll be pregnant again. I can't imagine how you feel, and you may want to stomp on my optimism, but with or without the help of this new insurance plan you're getting, I just know it's going to happen!