Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I run versus I'm a runner?

I knit.  I call myself a knitter.  From the day I started my first project (not just practice swatches), I called myself a knitter.  I *still* refer to myself as a new knitter but a knitter none the less.
 
I do not call myself a runner though.  I've never run more than 10k at once (those were several years ago) but even when I was running then I did not call myself a runner.  I would say "I run" or "I went for a run" but never "I'm a runner."  I'm on a forum of running moms and they recently had a "you know you're a real runner when..." post and I can check off things on there, but I'm still not a runner.  I guess it's in my head.
 
I've been "running" again for 2.5 months, with a break because of vacation/death in the family/injury, so I've been really running for maybe 1.5 months of that time.  I can run 3-4 miles at a time but at a snail's pace.  I can run 0.5-1 mile at a time faster, then walk, and alternate doing that. 
 
I'm not sure I have a point, I'm just pondering.  I would like to be a runner, would love to call myself a runner, but I can't.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to.  Why is it that I've completed some races (although again it was years ago), and I don't feel comfortable calling myself a runner, but before I even completed a knit project I felt comfortable calling myself a knitter?

2 comments:

Becky said...

I struggle with the same ideas Kaci. I think of runners as elite atheletes doing marathons and such. I do listen to some podcasts and read some blogs of "average" runners and I figure if I see them as runners than I must be too. That helps me a little anyway.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comments.

On the BG issue, yes, stink was an issue. I cloth diapered for just six months, and a big reason why I sold my stash was because of the stink. I could not figure it out. I tried stripping them, less detergent, more detergent, Blue Dawn, every recommended product--you name it. It's not like they stunk out of the wash or anything, but as soon as he peed, it smelled so bad. Ugh. I don't know that it was just BG, or cloth diapers in general.