Friday, January 9, 2009

Goodbye John

Today is a sad day - I've read that John Smoltz has signed a contract with the Boston Red Sox. Nothing against the Red Sox - they are the AL team I cheer for most, but *my* team has always been the Atlanta Braves. Even before they were great, I was a Braves fan. I remember going to games as a child and buying cheap tickets but they didn't care how far down the stands you moved - so we ended up sitting in the low rows in the outfield or right behind the dugout. Good times, made even better during their worst to first season in '91.

Since moving to Michigan and having a family, I don't follow them as closely as I used to, but they are still my team. I hate that the Braves didn't understand what Smoltz meant to the fans, instead of making it about the money. There have been numerous times in the past when Smoltz has stayed in Atlanta even when offered more money by other teams, but the discrepancy in the offers had to be insulting. Why choose $2.5mil when you can have $5.5? I'll sure miss seeing him in a Braves uniform, but I'll be watching more BoSox games now.

Maybe I'm pms'ing after all - every time I think about this I cry. It's freaking baseball, it's a business, yada yada yada, I know, I know! But I still don't like it one bit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's something you are passionate about, of course you are going have feelings about it! I don't follow any sports...I like to watch football, but I could care less who's playing...but I love that you care so much!

My Three Sons said...

Well I used to have some great memories of the Kansas City Royals and look at them now. Now that is something to cry about. LOL

I was just checking in. We are getting ready for a whole lot of doctor appointments and I thought I would come over here to "my" Kaci for a swift kick to keep moving forward and not feel sad. You know the deal.

Talk to you later,

Love,

Kaci

nancy said...

And HELLO Smoltz! (red sox fan here)