Wednesday, January 28, 2009

crazy neighbor

My neighbor is crazy. I actually like my neighbors just fine, but the man in the house west of us is a little snow shoveling crazy. I can remember when Scarlett was "new" and i would be up breastfeeding her in the middle of the night he would be out shoveling. She'd go back to sleep easily, thank goodness, but when I got back in bed all I could hear was "scccrrrraape, scccrrrrrape" and it kept me awake. At 3am! Seriously, who the hell shovels at 3am?!?!

Friday while my MIL was here she asked "what's that noise?" I listen for a moment and I hear it "sccccrrrraaape, sccccrrrraaaape" - huh? We don't even have fresh snow! I'm not sure what he's shoveling and I don't want to be obviously nosey & look out the window (our blinds were closed).

Then Monday night we got about 1/4" of snow - not much, right? He shoveled around 6am yesterday! UGH! I hate the sound of scraping first thing in the morning. When I went out to get the mail at 11am, all the snow from our sidewalk, driveway, and steps was gone...we just still had it all in the yard, but yeah, that's gonna be there a while. So why did he shovel that 1/4" of snow yesterday morning? Cuz he's crazy!

Last night it started snowing and we were supposed to get 3-4". David & I start bets on how early he'll be out shoveling. Imagine my surprise when I don't hear him out there "scccccrrrraape" all night! Then, I go out to get the mail, he STILL hasn't shoveled! Wow. This is a record. I wonder for a minute if I should go over & check on him. You know, cuz he's a shoveling maniac who gets out for 1/4" of snow, I can't imagine him leaving 3" on the ground for more than 10 minutes. But I have kids to see about, so I do the most un-neighborly thing possible and ignore that there could be a problem. No worries though, about an hour later he was out there with the shovel.

In all seriousness, for those of you who live where it snows, how much snow do you let fall before you shovel?

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Well in CO we have some law that if you don't have the snow shoveled within 24 hours they will give you a notice, if after another 24 hours they will hire someone to do it for you and you have to pay. So usually we shovel within 24 hours after it snows regardless of how much. Usually we wait til after it has totally stopped snowing first tho.

My Three Sons said...

Well to answer your question, I don't shovel unless there is a lot. But I will shovel at least my steps when it is needed. So at least you guys got to sleep and not have to hear that noise.

Maybe your neighborhood should all put some money in the pot and buy him one of those snowblowers....wouldn't that be nice to listen to at 3AM?? LOL

Anonymous said...

OMG What a friggin nut! We had a neighbor in Cali that was like that, only he would break out his leaf blower all hours of the day and night! I wonder what goes through people's minds, that do stupid crap like that!

Lana said...

We hardly ever get snow here in the NW, but, I too have a 'crazy' neighbor who obsessively cleans her yard.. not the quiet sound of a shovel, oh no, too quiet for her....but a LEAF BLOWER after 10 pm, and often before 8am. :-)

akkkkkk......