Thursday, January 8, 2009

gag (or things to add to my spreadsheet)

Before we left town Christmas Day, I tried to make sure the house was straight and that there wasn't anything besides kitty litter that would smell when we got home. I got the dishwasher loaded, washed whatever dishes don't go in the washer, cleaned the sink, cleaned the bathrooms, etc. All this on top of it being Christmas morning, washing diapers, and packing. I was bound to miss something, right?

Imagine my surprise when, after lunch, I started to unload the dishwasher and oh my, the smell when I OPENED the door was enough to make me throw up in my mouth. Yeah, it reeked. I thought at first it was broken, because I knew I started it before we left the house. But um, no, there was no soap in it, and there had obviously not been any soap in it 2 weeks ago. So I held my breath, put soap in, and ran it. Didn't help much - most of what was in there was so dried on that it still reeks. But now I have the lovely task of unloading it & hand washing everything. I'll have to find a clothespin for my nose.

And while I'm at it, I better open my travel spreadsheet and add a task for turning the dishwasher on. I really should do that any time we're travelling long enough that I need my list!

3 comments:

IdleMindOfBeth said...

ick ick ick and ICK

maybe try some white vinegar in it? according to the internet, vinegar cures all!


(and don't feel bad, we almost always forget to throw out milk before we go out of town. talk about a nasty smell!)

My Three Sons said...

Well I left a trash bag in my kitchen once and came home a few days later to that. At least all I had to do was remove it and open up some windows and light a few candles. Guess it's not that easy in the dishwasher. I wonder if you can try baking soda to help elimate the dishwasher smell?

Good luck and welcome back to our busy lives!!

Kaci

PS, I'm going to have to post on my site how we found each other. People are going to think that it is crazy that my friend googled my name and found you. She even went as far as thinking it was my blog until you were talking about your husband. LOL I think it is a good story and hey, we got to meet through the blogger world. So it is true, us Kaci's must stick together!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I have a teensy little one, and the other day it decided to flood my WHOLE kitchen floor. Luckily we were home and I could soak up the mess with towels, but UGH Dishwashers, can't live with em', can't live without em'!!!!!!!