Thursday, December 4, 2008

The math just doesn't work

I have a nasty cold. At least I'm convinced it's *just* a cold. I'm a medicine wimp - almost everything puts me to sleep, even extra strength tylenol. Therefore, I didn't take anything during the day yesterday because well, I couldn't go to sleep until David got home. When he got home I reached for something that I remembered taking in the past and was pretty sure it didn't make me sleep, but found I only had one dose left. I searched the medicine cabinet and found some other drugs that had the same ingredients, with the same quantities, just a different brand. So I took the dose and knew if it worked & I stayed awake that the other stuff would be safe to take today.

This morning I opened the box of new stuff and realized it had a night time and a day time formula. Orange pills for day, blue pills for night. (No, not those blue pills!) I read the directions and I'm supposed to take 2 pills every 4 hours. There are 2 problems with this.


  1. the box has 15 pills of each formula. So even though the box has 15 doses, it only has 7 complete doses of day time pills and 7 complete doses of night time pills. I'll end up taking 1 day time pill and 1 night time pill just to use them, I guess. The only difference seems to be the night time pills have an antihistamine. No caffiene or anything in the day version.
  2. The bigger problem, to me, is that I never take more than 1 dose of night time medicine per night, unless I'm feeling really really crappy. So taking 2 pills every 4 hours, I'll take either 3 or 4 doses of the day formula and 1 dose of the night formula in a 24 hour period. That means the day pills will last 2 days, and the night ones will last 7. Wouldn't it be better if they put more day pills than night pills in the box? Since they are freaking packaged together!?! Ok, next time I'll pay closer attention & buy separate boxes of day & night formulas, lesson learned.

No comments: