Wednesday, December 17, 2008

he's 3 today

My baby, my first baby, is three today. I can't believe it's been three years ago that I was in labor & delivery, just waiting out contractions. I can't believe that just a few short hours away was the most perfect baby boy I'd ever seen. I can't believe how far we've come.

Matthew is such a boy, but he's so sweet too. He gives the best hugs I've ever had. I don't know where he learned those. He is such a great brother - he tells me frequently that he loves Scarlett, and he always hugs and kisses her before naps & bed. He talks so much about so many things. He amazes me with his memory. Before we put up the Christmas tree this year he asked if we were putting it "there" and pointed to the spot it was last year. We asked if he remembered the tree and he said "yeah, we put it there and it went round & around." We have a rotating stand, so he did remember. He is such a trooper when it comes to his "bedtime shoes" - he has never once complained about them, well not since he has been able to talk. Those first couple of months in the shoes were rough, but even then he was a trooper. Now he walks in them and gets around great, and I think he realizes it is special. I worried that he would complain about them once Scarlett got here and he has to wear them but she doesn't, but still, no complaints!

He has grown leaps & bounds, and has such an awesome personality. He is sweet and loving, but has bit of rascal in him also. He frequently "teases" us about things, and then laughs and laughs that he tricked us. He loves corn, only he says "par" instead of "car" so I'll let you figure out what he says for "corn" - we can't help but laugh when he asks for "more corn" or says "I love corn." He will randomly say "I love you" or "we are so happy" and I've noticed that if I'm upset with him he'll quickly say "we are so happy mommy" just to try to cheer me up.

He loves to play rough - we frequently play football in the middle of the family room. He likes to jump from one piece of furniture to another, and tries to see how far apart he can move them between jumps. But he also loves to sit down & cuddle with his milk & let me read to him. He wants to know "what does that word say?" and he often wants to read to me when I'm finished reading to him. Lately I've seen him reading to Scarlett when I've been out of the room. A few minutes after that he might push her down...you have to take the bad with the good, right? (Obviously we try to correct the bad, but I still know it's gonna happen sometimes!)

It's hard to believe that once upon a time I didn't want children. Until I met David I didn't see myself with children at all. Meeting David changed my heart in such ways that once I knew we would be together I couldn't imagine not having children. I longed for children with him. Once Matthew came into our lives I definitely couldn't imagine it any other way.

I love you little guy! :)

No comments: