Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sometimes I hate the city

I grew up a country girl and sometimes I really hate living in a city. Don't get me wrong, when we lived in Atlanta I LOVED all the stuff that was within walking distance. It's also nice to have a wide variety of restaurants to choose from. In our smaller city where we are now, it's still nice to have those things, but geeze. David came home at lunch today to find a warning notice posted on our front door. Seems our grass has gotten a little too tall for the city's liking. Mind you, he just mowed last Monday and we got a buttload of rain this weekend so it was still really wet last night. All along he's planned to mow as soon as it dries up a little. Yeah, we know it needs it, but it's not obnoxiously tall or anything. We're not rednecks with cars on blocks & weeds growing up through them. We maintain. I guess it's kind of a common sense thing...I appreciate the fact that the city has inspectors to go around & check this stuff, it at least ensures that our neighbors have to maintain some sort of curb appeal, and theoretically it helps keep property values higher. But you'd think this inspector would realize we've had a LOT of rain and it's too WET to mow! Honestly, it's not so tall that he couldn't tell we've mowed recently. It just grows fast this time of year, especially given the rain we've had. So ya, I'm pissed about that little notice. If it's not mowed by Thursday when we comes back, they will ticket us & send someone to mow. Lovely. At least David already planned to mow tonight, even before we got the notice.

I'll also go on the record here to say, I've always been of the attitude that "if you don't like the rules, then live somewhere else" - and trust me, if David would move to the south GA boonies, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I won't do it here because it would be silly for him to have a commute. But yeah, rules are rules, and I guess that's what we get for letting it rain & having grass that actually grows in the spring. So yeah, it's our choice to live here, we have to suck it up & follow the stupid city's rules. It can still annoy me though. And it's my blog, I'll vent if I want to.

One last thought - isn't it great that this same city recently made budget cuts in the fire & police departments but ooh, we have the field inspector to make sure our grass isn't an inch too tall! (Because seriously, it's only a little over & it's not even the whole yard, it's just some spots grow faster than others! The whole yard isn't even overgrown...just those areas!) Gotta love our tax dollars at work.

I realize I'm a little defensive about our grass, which only tells me that I know it doesn't look great. It is too taller than we'd like, but we're not going to mow more than once/week, and Monday is our regularly scheduled mowing day, just so Tuesday can be the back up day in case it's raining or wet on Monday.

No comments: