Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Neighborly

Did I spell that right? It looks funny to me, but I'm pretty sure it's right. Anyway, we bought our house a little over 2 years ago. When we moved in none of our neighbors seemed very friendly. The couple on one side of us did water our grass (I think they realized we were busy trying to get the house ready to move into) a couple of times, but they hardly spoke to us when we saw them out in the yard. The people on the other side only talked to us twice in the first year we lived here, and one of those was to ask if they could "borrow" our driveway when they had a party. I am always nice to them and they are always nice to us, but I wouldn't feel right running next door to borrow an egg if I was baking, ya know?

I've since learned that one of our neighbors is much nicer than I realized. We got home from our week and a half long Thanksgiving trip around 6:30 that Sunday night. It was cold, dark, and snowing. David noticed that a lot of our neighbors had leaves piled in the street, so he thought maybe they were doing leaf collection Monday. He called and sure enough, it was scheduled. He was tired and sick so he didn't want to rake that night and our blower is on the fritz. I told him I would rake if I needed to, but he has this "thing" about me doing what he views as "man's work" so I finally convinced him just to wait & we would do it later. Too bad that was the last pick up and now we have to rake them, bag them, and let them be collected on trash day. That's a lot more work than just raking them into the street! Anyway, David came home at lunch that Monday & started fussing at me for raking. I told him I hadn't and he wouldn't believe me. I finally told him one of our neighbors must have done it. Someone had raked our front yard! Now I'm not sure if they did it because they are really nice and knew that we hadn't been home for over a week, or if they just did it to keep the leaves from blowing into their yard, but either way - that's a pretty damn good neighbor.

So I am planning to bake cinnamon rolls (either this weekend or the next) and I will be taking a pan to each of my next door neighbors, just to be neighborly. (Well and to thank them but since I don't know who to thank I'll just cover both!)

No comments: