Monday, December 10, 2007

to the doctor

Yuck. One evening last week I thought Matthew's ear looked a little gunky, but the next morning it looked fine and he didn't seem bothered by it, so I ignored it. I don't want to be one of those people that calls the doctor over every little thing, but if the office had been open that evening I would have called. I waited, it looked better, I didn't call. Makes sense, right?

Yesterday it started looking gunky again, and this morning when he woke up it was awful. I set up and appointment and took him in. Poor little guy has such a high tolerance for pain, we don't know he has an ear infection until it ruptures and sure enough, that's what happened. He didn't want me touching his ear this morning, so I know it hurts. I also tried to prep him for the doctor checking it by telling him that the doctor couldn't make him feel better without checking it, and that he should be a big boy for the doctor. When the doctor started to examine him, he looked at me with a little hesitation and I said "remember I told you the doctor would need to look at your ears?" so he sat quietly while the doc checked him out. When the doc was finished, Matthew looked at me and said "big boy" - I told him yes he was and then the doctor bragged on him too. :)

Matthew weighed 29 lbs - surprising to me since when we were in GA before Thanksgiving he felt a lot heavier than my niece, but she weighed 31 lbs at her last check up. Someone's scale isn't accurate!

I had Scarlett with me so I asked them to weigh her too (I'm still a little bothered by her not gaining a lot of weight between 2 & 4 months, after gaining quickly early on). She weighed 15 lbs 1 oz, which means she had gained more weight since her 4 months apointment than she had gained between 2 & 4! That surprised me since breastfed babies usually slow down around this time. At the same time it makes me feel much better about her weight!

No comments: