Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I may just breastfeed forever

This isn't really about breastfeeding, but last night I discovered one of the unexpected benefits of it. Since Scarlett needed to nurse after we finished eating supper, David gave Matthew his bath. As I sat with Scarlett, I heard David almost shout "here, sit on the potty", followed by the sounds of commotion. Finally I heard Matthew fussing "no potty" and David telling him to wait while he cleaned the tub. So I can kind of figure out what has happened. David sticks his head out of the bathroom and asks if Scarlett is still eating. I said yes so he walks out of the bathroom & starts going through cleaning supplies, grabs a bottle, and heads back into the bathroom. A few minutes later he comes out and says Matthew peed in the potty, but he wasn't sitting behind the "guard" so it went everywhere. He also says Matthew pooped a little in the tub. Of course I realize then that if I hadn't been feeding Scarlett I would have been the one to get the mess in the tub. Sweet girl you might just nurse until Matthew moves out of the house. :)

The good news of Matthew pooping in the tub is that it was obvious he was about to do it, David just wasn't fast enough. He said Matthew actually stood up in the tub and then squatted down, so when David made the connection, he sat him on the potty. Unfortunately it took David a few seconds too long to make the connection. Then Matthew wouldn't poop on the potty, he only peed. So, not sure what this means for potty training, other than I know that at least some of the time, Matthew KNOWS he needs to poop before he does it. I think we need to be diligent about watching him and putting him on the potty when he assumes the position. But what do we do when he doesn't follow through and poop? Last night I figured he'd finish pooping as soon as he got a diaper on, but he didn't. He didn't poop again until this morning...I know "they" say holding it in isn't good for children, so how do we get around it?

No comments: