Thursday, February 11, 2010

playdates and tears

When we pick the children up at school we go in the building & the teacher comes out in the hall to tell us about their day. Then she calls the children out one by one to keep things calm. This morning the little girl with the puppy was ahead of Matthew. Abby ran out & asked her mom if Matthew could come home with her. She was very excited and jumping around. Her mom looked at me and told her we would talk about it and schedule something. When I got to the door for Matthew, he was sitting in the circle crying. Poor little guy...his teacher didn't know what was wrong, she said he had a great day. Hmmmm. She went & got him and when he got to me he said "but I want to go home with her" and pointed at Abby. I told him I would talk to her mom and we would plan something. He wanted to go NOW though. We decided to get together next Tuesday because they don't have schoool.

I felt so bad that he was crying but I couldn't make him understand we would do it another day. He usually understands things like that, so maybe he understood & just didn't like it. The teacher's assistant came out of the room as I was calming him down & said he & Abby thought SHE was arranging their play date, and she told them to ask their moms. That's why he was crying in the room. She said they play together all the time, and Abby's mom said she talks about Matthew all the time. (Matthew plays with her but he told me he didn't know her name. Oops!)

Unrelated...they are doing great in their new swimming classes. I wasn't sure if Scarlett would listen/cooperate but the teacher said she's doing fine. Matthew is swimming around under the water and learning to kick & paddle "the right way". Now that I don't have to get in the water, I should be able to get some good pictures and video.

Another nice thing about them going in the water without me is that I can squeeze in a workout while they are in class. I checked with the lifeguard in charge and she said it is fine for me to leave the pool area as long as they know where I'll be. That will save some time for me later in the day! :)

No comments: