Thursday, November 13, 2008

randomness and a potty training update

Scarlett loves to be naked. She would run around all the time without a stitch on, if I would let her. But we keep our house a little too cool for that, so I try to keep her clothes on her. To do that, I brag as I dress her about what a pretty girl she is. Now she will pat herself on the chest and say "preteeeee". If we play "where's your nose? your ears? your eyes?" I can ask "where's a pretty girl?" and she pats herself. She knows she's the pretty one.

Well Matthew decided one day he should be pretty too, so I had to tell him he was handsome. I said "Boys aren't pretty. They're handsome." We were shopping a few days later and he was wearing his pumpkin hat. (It was before Halloween, I'm just slow in sharing.) The clerk in one store was complimenting the hats and she told Matthew "it's very pretty," to which he quickly said "oh no, I'm handsome. Scarlett is pretty."

Today I took the kiddos to the pedi for follow-up flu shots. This was the first time either of them had one so they had to have 2 doses. I was trying to get Matthew prepared for it as he got dressed and I told him he was going to get a shot like last time we were at the doctor's office. He said "oh and then I can get a zebra sticker on my leg?" I had forgotten he got a zebra print bandaid last time, but he remembered. He did great with the shot, not even a flinch this time. He was too busy eyeing the bandaids the nurse brought in. Scarlett didn't do as well, she cried as soon as they started wiping her leg to prep her. She did get over it quickly though.

While we were in the waiting room there was an expectant couple sitting there. Matthew went right up to the man with a book and asked the man to read to him. The man did. Well it happened to be a fire truck book and the man is a firefighter. So then he told Matthew that he drives those trucks and Matthew wanted to go for a ride. I think when we go to Georgia for Thanksgiving I will be able to arrange a ride, as my hometown has a small volunteer department and my family is close with a lot of them. :)

Potty training is going much much better. Tuesday Matthew pooped in the potty just a little bit, and we had to call his Momma Joy to tell her. The phone got passed around there - his Aunt Ashlei & Uncle Marty were visiting, so he told Momma Joy, Aunt Ashlei, and then got Uncle Marty on the phone. He told his Uncle Marty that he was using the potty and that he holds his winkie to potty. Marty thought he said he goes "wee wee" and I couldn't control my laughter. He has not had a single accident since Monday until today at naptime. He called to me that he needed to potty (after being down for about 30 minutes) and had pooped just a tiny bit in his undies. He went on the potty & pooped a LOT. Maybe he's getting it, but I'm also practicing my patience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaci, thats awesome! Rome wasn't built in a day. Sounds like Matthew is doing it just like he's supposed to! I'm sure Matthew would be so happy to ride on the fire truck!xoxo to the preteeee girl and the handsome lil man!