Monday, October 5, 2009

what to do? what to do?

Y'all are probably tired of hearing me mention running, but oh well, as Matthew would say, I'm going to do it anyway. I used to run just to run the Peachtree 10k. Every spring when it was time to sign up, I'd sign up & start training. I trained, ran July 4, and quit until the next spring. It wasn't something I loved. When I first started running this summer, I figured I'd enter some 10k's, just to keep me running, and I casually said "someday I want to run a marathon." Well this time, I joined a running moms group and these ladies Inspired me. Yeah, Inspired with a capital "I". As I read their messages, I read about their running, their races, their stories, their lives...I was and am truly Inspired.

I decided to try to run a half marathon. Those ladies encouraged me that I could do it. They encouraged me that if I could run 5 miles I could run a half. I tested myself. I signed up for the Detroit Half Marathon. I am so excited to be running this race. Through my training, I know that a marathon is a reasonable goal. I can and WILL do it. But WHEN?

I could train and be ready to run it 18 weeks after my half (solely based on the training program I've been following for the half). That would be late Dec/early Jan, which would mean training over Thanksgiving & Christmas, which I could do but we travel a lot & I'm usually not good about exercising when I'm out of town. I'm sure if I signed up for a race I would be better though. But that would also mean training in the winter months here...and I'm not sure about how I'd do a long run in the cold, possibly snowy, Detroit winter. I can't imagine running 20 miles on the treadmill or even on the track at my gym (that would be ~200 laps...wowzers!). So I'd need to run outside, and I'm not sure I'm that tough.

So maybe I find a spring marathon...there's actually one that starts/finishes less than half a mile from my house. Easy enough, right? But it's a small one, with ~400 finishers last year. That intimidates me. I'd rather run a big one with thousands of other people.

Then, there's the issue of children. David & I want at least one more child. My next birthday I'll be 35. The chances of becoming pregnant, the chances of a healthy pregnancy, the chances of a healthy baby...all that goes down the older I get. I know there's no magic number, but I don't want to wait until I'm much older, especially if we think we might want more than one more. Plus Scarlett will be 3 in June, and I don't want a huge age gap between children. (I hated my almost 7 year old younger sister for oh, almost 15 years.)

So do I put off my newfound love of running to try for another baby? Or do I keep running and finish that marathon before I get rid of my IUD? I want both these things, and I know I can have them both, but I don't know which I should pursue first.

On the one hand, if I've run a marathon before I TTC, I'll be in good shape for a pregnancy. Hopefully I'll be closer to my goal weight when I get pregnant. I should be able to run more/longer into the pregnancy than if I'm not in as good of shape. On the other hand, if I haven't run a marathon maybe it would inspire me after the baby was born, to lace up my shoes.

I really don't know what to do, how to proceed, what's best...for me, my current family, and our hopeful additional member. I know no one can tell me what to do (although if you have advice/thoughts, I'd certainly appreciate your input). I know that it's a personal decision for David & me to make together, but I wish the answer could just fall into my lap. I hate making decisions!

1 comment:

Krista said...

I'm not a runner, but just from the logistics side, I think if I were in your shoes I would pick the baby first. I would go ahead and run your half, then take out the IUD and pursue the baby thing. Once #3 is out, you could start training for a reasonably timed warmer weather marathon.

I know your TTC history is different than mine, so maybe the place that I'm in weighs heavily on my opinion. Seeing it take 10 months of really trying hard to conceive the first time for me and now it has been about 14 months of taking a more laid-back approach without results....well I'd try for the baby and see what happens.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best in succeeding with both goals. There is no obvious wrong or right, so you just have to trust your gut. I'm with you in that I hate making those kinds of choices.