Tuesday, October 13, 2009

can I get some cheese too?

Last Tuesday I felt great.  Went to the gym for a short run before my step class, did an easy 2.25 miles, went to class, about halfway through class my legs started to feel really weak and I was complaining about the heat in the room.  I got home, showered, and felt a little better but still weak and shaky.  Wednesday morning I got up and was blasted...fever, aches, chills, sore throat, overall blah feeling.  It continued until this weekend, when the fever finally disappeared but everything else...still here.  I haven't run or worked out since Tuesday.  (and do I need to remind you I'm running a half marathon on the 18th?) 
 
I told David yesterday that I didn't care how bad I felt, I needed to run, to know that I could.  When he got home from work I did just that...I laced up & headed out, planning to do a 3.1 mile loop.  I felt horrible.  I almost turned around and came home, more than once.  I pushed on, even when I felt like someone was tightening my heart rate monitor around my chest, even when my throat burned like it's never burned before, even when every single breath I took hurt like hell.  I pushed on. 
 
I got home and collapsed, sobbing, in a chair.  I was so upset.  David didn't quite know how to handle me, he kept asking if I was hurt and I could barely breathe to say no.  I finally settled down enough to whine that I was upset over being sick, so close to the race, when I should be peaking and instead I feel like krap.  I whined that it is so unfair that I've worked hard for this, and now it's all ruined because of this stupid cold.  And how it hurt to run and I can't finish training.  Even though I know I don't *need* to run any more between now & race day, I'm afraid I haven't done *enough* to be my best Sunday.
 
And I'm still worried I won't be 100% better too.  Stupid cold. 
 
And yeah, I know I should be thankful my biggest problem is a cold.  It could be worse.
 

No comments: