Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Vacation...kind of?

Just a quick note to say I won't be around much, if at all, for a couple of weeks. We are leaving today to go to Kalahari Resort/Waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio. David's boss recommended it - he said they have a very large area that is great for toddlers, with depths from 6-12 inches and a lot of small waterslides. They also have some infant jumpers in the water, so we think Scarlett will enjoy those.

After the waterpark visit, we will be going to visit my family, with a pit stop along the way to visit some of David's family. David will be leaving me & the kids at my parents' house and driving back on his own. My parents bought us a new dining room table & chairs so he is hauling that back. My mom is on spring break next week so we will enjoy a nice visit. We actually won't come home until April 2...any idea how hard it is to pack for 3 people & 3 different climates?!?! I am flying home with the kiddos - I haven't flown alone with them since October, and Scarlett is so much more mobile now, and louder too. I think I worry less about her wanting to get down & squirm than I do her squeals disturbing the plane full of people! Oh, and this time we have a layover too. We will stop in Atlanta for about 2 hours, right at lunchtime. I think this gives us just enough time to change diapers, grab lunch, and get to our flight. Maybe we'll have a little time for Matthew to run around!

I haven't figured out how I'm going to nurse Scarlett on this trip. She has started being quite the acrobat when she nurses. Frequently she squirms around, while attached to the boob, to a point where she is almost opposite of how she started. She also LOVES to STAND in my lap, kind of in a downward dog yoga pose. I wouldn't think it is easy to eat this way, but she seems to do just fine! So the times I have no choice but to nurse in public should be interesting!

Matthew is showing a LOT of interest in the potty! WOOHOO! Note I haven't really been encouraging much potty use, if I see him stop what he's doing & start grunting I will ask if he needs to potty, and we will sit him on it if he asks, and almost always put him on it before his bath. Well, Saturday morning as we ate breakfast he asked to potty. I had Scarlett in the highchair where she was screeching for her next bite, so I grabbed the potty chair & brought it in the dining room. (Yeah, I agree, it's gross to poop where you eat, but our dining room is big enough he wasn't right at the table!) Anyway, he peed and even pooped just a little! It was by no means a regular poop, but I was SO SO SO EXCITED that he did it just a little! It's a huge leap from where he's been!

He has asked to potty while at the dining room table for the past 3 nights, and he has peed in it each night. Of course, each night we have to take the potty chair in the dining room - he seems to like sitting on it in there better than in the bathroom! I think when we get back from our trip it will be time for me to get serious about training!

This morning at breakfast Matthew was telling me something - I thought he was asking for ketchup. I told him it would be silly to eat ketchup with applesauce (he had eaten the rest of his breakfast already), but he kept repeating. I finally heard him hiccup and realized he was trying to tell me he had the hiccups! I wouldn't have thought in my wildest dreams that he knew the word "hiccup!"

Just another quick note - I am loving the cloth diapers! I am not quite loving them enough to take them on our trip, but just because I don't know what we would do about a diaper pail. I'm sure I could get suggestions from some of the cloth diapering groups I've seen, but I haven't really had time to check. Maybe for the next trip! I hope to be completely on cloth soon after we return.

Ok, that got long, just figured I would share the latest. Now I'm off to do another load of laundry, wash the dishes, and finish packing! Hope you all have a Happy Easter and a great couple of weeks!

1 comment:

Totallyscrappy said...

Hope your vacation was a blast!