Saturday, August 11, 2007

Growing up

Matthew continues to amaze me. He seems to soak up so many things - someone once told me to be a sponge and just absorb as much as I could, sometimes I forget that children are sponges. Last night he did a couple of cute things. First, he put a finger puppet on his hand and waved it around saying "hi". Second, David realized it was an elephant and asked him what sound the elephant makes and Matthew responded by putting his arm to his nose using it like a trunk and kind of roaring. Yesterday he also covered Scarlett with her blanket while she was in the swing and put a cloth diaper above her head, much like I do when she's in the carseat. (I roll a cloth diaper up as extra head support, instead of buying one of the inserts...yeah I'm frugal.) He also can sing "baa baa black sheep" with almost all the words. :)

I was also surprised recently to learn that Matthew understands that the same word can have completely different meanings. I hope he understands "hot" - I know he understands it when I give him food that is too hot, or when his bathwater is too hot, but I'm not sure he understands it in the kitchen when I open the oven and tell him "hot" or outside when we tell him the grill is hot. Speaking of grills, we were at the park and he asked David "what's that?" and pointed to the grill. Now the grills at the park look a good bit different than our grill so it's no surprise he asked. David told him "it's a grill" and he immediately said "hot." So I know he associates hot with grill, I'm just not sure he understands it would HURT if he touched it when it was hot. Anyway, the surprise I started to discuss was that Matthew understands "rock," as in "rock" in a chair, or that it is a stone you find outside or in Mema's flowerpots and you shouldn't put them in your mouth. Maybe I'm too easily impressed?

On another note, Scarlett is smiling - we took some pictures last weekend and noticed when we viewed them on the pc that she was smiling in one. We didn't see it in real life, but Monday she smiled for Matthew when he tried to share his paci and we've seen a few since then. Our camera has a delay between pressing the button & it saving the image so we haven't captured this on film, or rather disk, yet. She also rolled from tummy to back yesterday, but I think it was a fluke. I'm guessing when I put her down I didn't realize her arm was under her, but anyway she rolled. She also slept 8 hours again last night!! Maybe we're getting into a pattern? Can I hope?

I'll try to limit the mommy brags, but let's face it, a good part of my days (and nights) are spent with these two wonderful children. I'm bound to brag on them when they're good, just like I'll complain when they're not.

No comments: