Wednesday, August 8, 2007

and now I have pinkeye

I was pretty sure yesterday that I had gotten Matthew's pinkeye, but I wasn't positive. Today I'm sure. I called my pcp to make an appointment but he's only there on Mondays. Must be nice to work just one day a week, huh? I knew I should have gone to med school! Anyway, when I complained about not being seen until Monday they scheduled me with another doctor. After going for a 1:40 appointment and not getting called back to see the doctor until 3:00, he confirms I have pinkeye and is going to write me a prescription for some drops. Then I tell him that I'm breastfeeding, just to make sure it is safe, and he tells me he'll have to check. He leaves and is gone for quite some time, but I can hear him at the nurses station. He is looking up to see what is safe for breastfeeding moms that treats pinkeye and can't find anything so he tells the nurse to call another doctor and ask. As some point while they are talking, the nurse comments that "she only thinks she has pinkeye because her son has it" - to which the doctor replies "I know she has it, I examined her." I wonder if the nurse really thought the doctor was just letting me self diagnose without checking for himself....maybe this is common at this practice?

Anyway, the doctor comes back and tells me that I can take tylenol to keep my eye from hurting but that there is NO SAFE medicine for me to take. He says if I want to STOP NURSING for a few days that I could treat the pinkeye. Otherwise, I can't take anything and it should clear up on its own but I am to "keep an eye on it because it could lead to vision damage." WHAT? What kind of doctor is this? I can't believe I waited that long to walk away with nothing but "take tylenol and watch it".

I get home and call the pediatrician's office to see what they recommend. They end up calling me in a prescription for some drops that they say are fine for me to use while nursing Scarlett. Meanwhile, David gets home from work and says he thinks Scarlett's eyes are red and goopy. I look and agree, so we decide to get her script filled too.

No comments: