Friday, August 10, 2007

crying over spilt milk

The day was off to a good start. Scarlett slept from midnight to 8:30 this morning so I got a full night's sleep. Well, a full night minus the few times I woke up to check the clock to see if she "should" wake up soon. Imagine my surprise at 5:00am when she still hadn't gotten up to eat...then again at 6, 6:30, 7:00...you get the picture. Matthew didn't get up until almost 8:00 so I am a well rested mommy today.

After Matthew had milk and Scarlett was fed, I pumped for a few minutes. I have been blessed with an overabundance of milk so I've been pumping once a day just to have some extra stored. I figure it won't hurt to have a freezer supply when I go back to work. That way MAYBE I won't stress out every day about pumping enough for the next day. I say MAYBE because I think I'll still stress out - that's what pumping does to you, right? So after I pump I go fix breakfast for Matthew & me. While he finishes up, I put his highchair in the kitchen so I can do some cleanup. I also need to put the milk I've just pumped in the freezer, so I get out the bags. I have some from yesterday that I stored in the fridge so I get that out too. I pour the milk into the bags and stand them up on the counter while I wash the pump parts & the bottles.

That's when I hear it..."uh-oh" - from Matthew. I turn to look at Matthew, but as I turn I glimpse milk flowing across the counter. While it seems to be in slow motion, I can't grab the bag and stand it up before ALL of the milk is gone. Yes, ALL of it - 5-1/2 ounces of that so-called liquid gold...GONE! On the counter, down the cabinet, onto the floor, a river of milk flowing through my kitchen. For those that think I'm exaggerating, try pouring 5-1/2 oz of your favorite drink on your countertop, watch it spread...it's heartbreaking. (And no, breastmilk isn't my favorite drink, but it's definitely a top priority in life these days.) Fortunately Matthew's uh-oh was about the milk - there wasn't another crisis going on at the same time :)

I clean up the milk AFTER I close the other bags - I don't want the rest of it succombing to the same fate as the first bag. I continue washing bottles and hear it again..."uh-oh". I turn and this time see that Matthew has dumped applesauce everywhere - it covers the high chair tray, him, and a good bit of the floor. Then of course he reaches for his head, rubs his hands in it, and lays it down on the tray. Where is calgon to take you away when you need it?

As bad as this may sound, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Once I got things mostly cleaned up, Matthew was in a great mood. It promises to be a fun day when he's this cheerful. Scarlett is asleep in the swing (yes sometimes it is a babysitter) and he's entertaining himself as I write. I know how blessed I am to have not one, but two, wonderful children. I don't take it for granted, and I don't mean for my complaints to make it sound like I wish it was different. I realize too that I need to document more of these seemingly mundane things so that when it is truly a bad day, I can look back and smile over these moments.

No comments: