Thursday, December 10, 2009

these kids of mine

Scarlett has been doing pretty well on the potty recently.  She tell me often that she needs to potty and when I put her on it, she goes.  She's pooped in the potty almost every day the last 2 weeks.  I think I've changed 3 messy diapers in that time, so that's nice.  Unfortunately she doesn't stay dry even though she potties regularly.  If I put panties on her she won't even tell me she needs to go, she just wets them.  I'm thinking when we get back from our Christmas traveling I will try to totally train her.  Anyway, almost every time she poops, she flushes the toilet & says "bye bye poop."  The other day she said "bye bye poop, go and see your family."  She really cracks me up sometimes.
 
Matthew is really challenging me these days.  Sometimes I feel like the world's worst mommy.  Maybe I'm not cut out for this stay at home mom stuff.  I think come January I will try to structure our days a littlel more...right now we are very vague - we get up, he watched Curious George and then we eat breakfast.  Then we play, read books, run errands, whatever...until lunchtime.  After lunch they take naps, then we play, read books, etc. until suppertime.  I usually turn on a short video while I cook supper, then we eat and it's usually bathtime & bedtime.  I think maybe if I structured the mornings a little more, with some specific activities, room playtime, family room playtime, time for him & me while Scarlett plays alone, time for me & Scarlett while he plays alone, time for them to play together, etc. things might be easier/smoother, but I don't know.  I'd try to include specific story times, crafts on certain days, music, etc.  but I'm not sure HOW to implement this idea. 
 
Any advice before I pull all my hair out? 
 
 

2 comments:

IdleMindOfBeth said...

maybe start simple? pick a morning of the week that will be craft/project day, and then go searching online for ideas. I'm sure you could find fun cooking activites, make your own play-doh, dyeing eggs (who says its only for easter?), letter day (activities focused around a letter), color day (ditto letter day), make cards for daddy/grandparents/aunts/whoever, etc etc etc. maybe Michael's or Joanns has age appropriate crafts?

you're my mentor, so you better figure it out soon, woman!

My Three Sons said...

My idea is similair to Idle....Have a differnt theme for each day of the week.

You might also try going to the local library and check out some books and videos on animals, space ships, cars, rocks....that way they can watch a video and then closer to nap time you can read a fun book about that subject. Carson and I watched on Black bears the other day and it was really cute. It showed the momma and her two cubs for a whole season and the things she taught them. Cason kept watching the whole time.

I also have a friend that has 3 kids and they have a different Country theme every month. They read about the Country and then get some videos on it and then every Friday night she prapares a meal from that country and so far has had a lot of fun. She also finds out what their tradition is like Mexico.....very passionate about soccer, and they try some of those games or traditions.

I have also bought a lot of craft things at Hobby Lobby. At X-mas time the boys and I would paint ornaments and wooden X-mas things like snowmen. I have also bought the ceramic dishes and had them design those. Buy some cheap wooden picture frames and go to the scrapbooking section and buy some stickers to make a frame. Coltan made a baseball one and Cody made a soccer one for my mom on mothers day and I inserted their team pics in there. We also did one with a Disney theme and they took their favorite pics of themslves and put it in their rooms.

You can always have a cookie day. Buy the cookie cutters that look like letters and numbers and have them ice certain ones.

Okay, that should help for a few days. Let me know if you need any more ideas. I'm constantly trying to keep Carson busy. We are also watching the Signing Time Videos and he has mastered over 350+ signs. Carson has also learned Spanish as well.

But we always start our day off with Curious George as well!!!!