Wednesday, December 16, 2009

always a surprise

 With children come surprises.  Some parents of clubfoot children find every night a battle.  A lot of them resist the shoes, especially as they get older.  We have been very fortunate with Matthew that he has not fought us.  One morning recently he took his shoes off for the first time.  We try to keep him in them 12 hours a day so we told him that was a no no and that he could only take them off if we told him it was ok.  Now every morning I tell him when it's ok. 
 
We normally put Matthew's shoes on at bedtime, but downstairs, before we go to his room.  Tonight I had them by myself though and I find it easier to take him upstairs without them and put them on in his room.  I left Matthew in his room with his shoes while I put Scarlett down.  When I got back in his room he had 2 of the 3 buckles on one shoe buckled, and was working on the other shoe.  He proudly looked at me and said "look mommy I put my shoes on by myself."  It *almost* made me cry.  I am so thankful for Dr. Ponseti and his methods, and that those methods have been accepted and are practiced now.  I am also thankful for John Mitchell and his faith, which allowed him to develop the shoes that Matthew is wearing now.  We are blessed to have a child who is laid back and easy going and accepting of the shoes. 

2 comments:

Krista said...

AWww! I probably would have cried. It is great to know he'll wear them and they are doing their job!

My Three Sons said...

It's always so nice to sit back and appreciate the little things in life that our children do. I'm right there with you. My middle son Cody told me the other day that his dad was taking him to Wal Mart to buy me a Christmas gift and he was using his own money. SO with tears in my eyes, I thought, i must be doing something right.