Thursday, July 23, 2009

getting old sucks

Normally I don't complain about aging as I figure it's better than the alternative, but sometimes a girl's just gotta whine.  As I've been running more & more, my right hip has been hurting more & more.  I mentioned it to my boot camp teacher & she diagnosed me with ITBS.  She gave me some stretches to do to help, then I read up on it, and decided to add some biking in as cross training to help.  (of course then I read the wiki link that says it's associated with cycling too)
 
Last weekend David & I took the kids on a bike ride.  He hauled the trailer most of the time and the ride was very easy for me.  Once I got the trailer I could tell a big difference, as that extra 85 lbs is a lot for me.  He ended up blowing a tire (and while we had an extra tube, we did NOT have an extra tire) so I left him & the kiddos at a playground & biked home to get the car.  All told I rode almost 30 miles and felt great.  I resumed running during the week, then I decided Monday to go for a ride since I had been pretty lazy all weekend.  My hip has been sore but biking last weekend hadn't bothered me.  The kids & I spent almost all day Monday out & about.  I stopped several times along our ride to let them play and we had a picnic lunch.  All told I rode about 35 miles, this time by myself with them, so that extra weight was all mine to carry.  No problem, I still felt great.
 
Tuesday night, I went to step, just like always and was fine.  I've been running some either before or after class so did a short run.  Then I made the mistake of falling asleep on the couch.  I woke up yesterday morning in so much pain I couldn't describe it.  My hip & back were terrible.  Carrying a child on my hip...IMPOSSIBLE!  The pain is slightly better today but I can't get comfy, sitting or laying down, only standing up. 
 
Now I have to figure out if it's something about my running form that is just bad so I can correct it & keep up the activity.  And if it's not that then what could it be?
 

1 comment:

My Three Sons said...

Well if it is only when your running, it could be something as easy as a different pair of shoes or better stretching. That is awesome about the biking. 65 miles in a few days! Wow, I envy you!

Make sure your taking Advil for your pain. Maybe ice or heat.

Hope you have a great weekend.