Friday, May 11, 2007

Signing

I had all these great ideas of what kind of mom I would be, and one of the things I planned was to teach Matthew a good bit of sign language. There are a lot of studies about it, yada, yada, yada. I don't know sign language, but I have a couple of books that have some common signs that are useful in communicating with babies. So I tried a couple but it seemed like Matthew wasn't catching on so I just quit. I haven't used them in a long time, but a few days ago I asked Matthew if he wanted more and I thought he signed it. This morning when he finished the breakfast I had given him, he started signing & saying MORE! It has seriously been 2 months at least since I have signed with him...I can't believe he remembered it & started using it. It's also nice to see he actually knows what it means :)

I guess now I will be motivated to do some more, or maybe not since he's also talking a lot more now. But this probably will motivate me to be more consistent about using signs with the new baby.

1 comment:

lisa h. said...

you should check out the signing time dvds....we have 1-6 and the kids love them and we all know how to sign a ton of things now. maybe your library has them...ours has a few.