Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WFMW: Pretty Sweet Potatoes

Most people grow up thinking their moms or grandmas are the best cooks in the world, right? I'm no exception...my granny is the best, my mom is the second-best. While everyone does things differently, I always noticed when I would eat with other people that their sweet potato casserole didn't taste as good, but it also just didn't look as good. The first Christmas David & I spent in our first house, we invited his mom's family to our house for Christmas. I planned to cook Christmas dinner, but being young & not much of a cook, I spent a LOT of time on the phone with my mom in the week leading up to Christmas. One of the things I learned that week was how to keep the sweet potatoes looking pretty for the casserole! I'll share that secret with you!

Run water in your sink and add some salt. Wash, peel, and cut up the sweet potatoes then add them immediately to the salt water. Let them sit while you work. Before you boil the sweet potatoes, rinse them well. The salt will keep them from turning brown when they cook. When you mash them you will have beautiful orange sweet potatoes for your casserole!

That is what works for me this week. For more great tips, head over to Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comment:

ames said...

Ooh, makes me want some sweet potatoes right now! Great tip.