Friday, January 18, 2008

Recipe Friday - Mango Chicken

I figured since I posted about the Mango Splitter for WFMW I should share one of my favorite mango recipes this week. I am including the recipe as I received it & then putting some notes at the end about how I adjust it.

1/2 c sugar
1/2 mango
1/2 tsp ginger
red pepper to taste
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp orange juice

Heat 1st 5 ingredients to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the orange juice and simmer 2-3 additional minutes. Serve with baked chicken breasts and rice.

My notes: I adjust the sugar based on how sweet my fruit is - I usually think 1/2 c is too much. I use 2 mangoes instead of 1/2. We like mango! I also use more ginger and a good bit of red pepper - we like it kind of spicy too.

I have also put the ingredients in a crock pot with the chicken and let it cook on low all day, and sometimes I throw it all in a dish in the oven. That works too, and the chicken absorbs a lot of flavor.

Presentation - one of my favorite restaurants back in the ATL was a Thai place that served AWESOME mango chicken. I'd love to have their recipe, but this is as close as I've found. Anyway, they gave you rice on a plate and then on a separate plate had half a mango peel, like a bowl. They spooned the mango & chicken in the mango peel and it looked so pretty! Since I use my vegetable peeler to peel my mango, I haven't tried to make it look pretty when I serve it!

No comments: