Wednesday, January 23, 2008

WFMW: Get that coat on!

This tip is for all my fellow cold weather mommies. Matthew is very independent and wants to do everything for himself. As you can imagine, teaching a 2 year old to put on his own coat could be quite difficult - he just doesn't have that kind of bodily control...sure, he can put the first arm in, but then to maneuver the coat behind his back and get the second arm in...IMPOSSIBLE. Of course it only leads to frustration when he can't get the coat on all by himself. Thanks to a brilliant teacher at his daycare, we now have a method for getting his coat on him that requires no help from us!

Here's the trick:
Lay the coat on the floor with the inside facing up.
Have the child stand or kneel at the collar of the coat.
The child should place their arms in the sleeves.
Then they can flip the coat up over their head!

At first I had to put the coat down for Matthew, but now I am able to tell him to put his coat on, and if he's in a cooperative mood, he can do completely on his own. Now I just need to teach him to zip it!

For more great tips, head over to Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Tyler loves to do this too! Great tip!

lisa h. said...

we do this at our home as well! my mom taught my kids how...what a time saver!

lisa h. said...

hehe, i just realized i was commenting on your blog after i did! i didn't realize i'd been here before...i was looking at all the WFMW thing. does that even make sense? well it was amusing for me.